RealTimeSync: Command Line

Get help for specific problems

Lepi

Hello, I´m a relative new member. I like the program very much and now I also want to use the RealTimeSync.
I´m really a stupid IT and have troubles to generate the command line. I really believe, I´m not the only one having this problem. For this reason my question:

I have selected files from my PC from C:\ and want to sync these to an external drive E:\
Dear program developer - isn´t it possible, after having set the basic job, to set automatically the command line?
This was really a great help for all users!!!

Kind Regards and further on Good Luck,
Lepi
Site Admin

Zenju

The command line is set automatically, see the RealTimeSync tutorial:
https://freefilesync.org/tutorials.php

Lepi

The command line is set automatically, see the RealTimeSync tutorial:
https://freefilesync.org/tutorials.php Zenju, 03 Sep 2018, 07:45
Dear Zenju, thank you very much for your quick reply and the Link to the tutorials. Although everything is well explained I have still a further question. Are these notes also available in a written text? I´m able to read and write but I cannot understand spoken text. Please excuse me troubling you!!!

Lepi

I have tried again - the command line is NOT automatically generated!!! What´s to be done?

InfinitusVox

I have tried again - the command line is NOT automatically generated!!! What´s to be done? Lepi, 03 Sep 2018, 10:41
1. Open FreeFileSync (FFS), then select the sync folders on both the right and left sides on the first line.
2. Then, next to the selected folder on the left side, there is a "green plus."
3. Click the "green plus" and it will add another line for an additional folder pair to sync in addition to the first one you selected.
4. Continue hitting the "green plus" until you've listed all the folders you want to sync between the two locations.
5. Run the FFS Compare and Synchronize buttons.
6. After completed, click on the File menu. Select "Save as batch job...".
7. Save the batch job file (you can rename it, but in the below example, I'm just going to use the automatic name FFS provides) to a convenient location - it doesn't matter where - Desktop or Root C:\ are good recommendations. I suggest using the normal batch job file name (BatchRun.ffs_batch). Then close FFS.
8. Open RealTimeSync (RTS).
9. In the command line in RTS, first enter the folder path to the FFS .EXE file in quotes. E.g., "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe"
10. After entering the FFS .EXE location in quotes, enter a Space.
11. After the Space in the command line field, in quotes, enter the direct path to the batch job that was saved from FFS. E.g., "C:\BatchRun.ffs_batch"
12. In my example, the full RTS command line would look like this: "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" "C:\BatchRun.ffs_batch"
13. Then run RTS, and it should start automatically monitoring all of the folder pairs initially selected in FFS (one or more) that created the batch job file. You can always go back to FFS to add/remove any folders selected, then repeat Steps 6 & 7 above. If you never changed the name of the FFS batch job file, then no command line updates will be required in RTS. RTS will automatically start using the same/updated batch file with any FFS sync changes made to it.
14. Profit!

Note 1: Once you create a batch job file from FFS, it's strongly suggested that the file name is never changed, and that it is continuously updated (overwritten) from FFS. I.e., if you have RTS set up now, don't change the name of the batch job file, or move it to a different computer location.
Note 2: This should go without saying, but also make sure all of the folders being monitored for changes in RTS have been listed. In RTS, under the "Folders to watch:" section, make sure all the same folders being monitored match the same ones selected in FFS when the batch job file was created and/or latest overwritten.
Note 3: You can't enter multiple batch job files in the RTS command line. So, creating the singular batch job file and making updates to it, then overwriting the same old batch job file each time a change to the folders in FFS is made, is (probably) the best way to continuously auto-sync multiple folders with RTS.

All of this is working for me (as of when I'm posting this) - I monitored RTS multiple times and for a while, and it does work, following the above steps! I really hope this helps! Good luck!

K