version 10.4 long initializing and .lock files

Discuss new features and functions

rvboutin9

Hi,
I am using Freefilesync on Ubuntu 18.04 to synchronize folders between an external USB3 HDD and NAS shares (mounted as CIFS in Ubuntu). Since version 10.4 the synchronisation fails, it takes a very long time initializing (scanning for locked folders), creates lots of .lock files (many starting with "Del" such as Del.sync.ffs_lock and Del.Del.sync.ffs_lock) while the message displayed is about "detecting abandonned lock.." and many .tmp file in every folder. The synchronisation then starts but quickly stop with an error message saying that it cannot synchronise all the tmp files. I can only click ignore but there are so many of them that I have to click "ignore all", the synchronisation seems then to proceed but in fact does not, and none of the folder are synchronised.
The job is set to mirror all the folders and there is no versioning set-up, simply a replace or permanently delete files.
Maybe other are affected by this.
Best,
Rv

Edit: this is also happening with version 10.3, 10.2, 10.1
Last edited by rvboutin9 on 26 Sep 2018, 11:39, edited 5 times in total.

rvboutin9

So the error I get is:
Cannot write file "/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=IP.IP.IP.IP,share=file_name_here.ffs_tmp".

Error Code 22: Invalid argument [open]

The file is not open in any applications but Freefilesync!
Last edited by rvboutin9 on 26 Sep 2018, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

rvboutin9

Update: this is only happening when working with NAS shares.

rvboutin9

Have now rebooted both the PC and NAS and I now get the following message:
Cannot set directory locks for the following folders:

"/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=IP.IP.IP.IP,share=share/"
Cannot write file "/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=IP.IP.IP.IP,share=share/Del.Del.sync.ffs_lock".
Error Code 22: Invalid argument [open]
Site Admin

Zenju

It seems SMB-mounting via Nautilus was broken by one of the latest Ubuntu updates. Manual "mount" still works, though: viewtopic.php?t=5282#p18527

rvboutin9

This is strange as SMB mounting works fine in Nautilus, I can create/delete/modify files in the shares without any issues, it is only FFS that has a problem accessing the shares and writing to them.
I'll try to mount that share manually in terminal and get back to you after testing.
Site Admin

Zenju

Manually copying files via the terminal also fails with the same error in my tests, but has worked in earlier Ubuntu versions.

rvboutin9

My mistake: the destination of deleted files was set to "recycle bin", changing this to "delete permanently" in FFS and excluding all tmp file with the filter *ffs.tmp allowed the synchronisation to take place. NB: I have only tried with the NAS share mounted manually through terminal using nfs and mounted in a subfolder of my home folder.
FFS is however still creating tones of tmp files in the destinations folders and subfolders.

Plerry

… and excluding all tmp file with the filter *ffs.tmp ...rvboutin9, 26 Sep 2018, 15:21
This should not be necessary.
FFS excludes its own system-files already by default.

rvboutin9

I know but if I do not exclude them I got an error message saying that FFS cannot delete those .tmp files because they are open. It only happens in Ubuntu and with NAS shares!