Hanging at 2565 files and crashing when trying to cancel

Get help for specific problems

icarus

tl;dr:
Hangs at 2600~ files with transferring from SMB to SMB, works fine when syncing with local disk. Crashes when cancel is attempted

Issue:
I have a very very unique situation in which my sync pair crashes at exactly 2565 items found and hangs (longest time I have had patience for was 4hrs). This locks up the IO on the SMB interface and accessing files becomes near impossible.

I have deleted the files that it hangs on or the folders above it to no avail. Trying to cancel the sync crashes the program and forces it into a Not Responding state. I have been able to replicate this on a different machine, but instead crashing exactly at 2651(2652 when database is renamed) items found. This is over a local network and both machines are not reporting any network throughput.

With the same source but a local destination, it pauses a bit at 2575 items but resumes normally.

Is there any diagnosis data that would help with this very unique issue?

It is not a resource problem, Client 1 has over 70GB of free RAM and 8 cores idling. Client 2 was idling happily at 10% and with over 2GB of RAM to spare. Both have gigabit connections and other sync pairs function without any problems.

Version Information

Source: Windows Server 2016 v1607 over SMB2
Destination: Linux-Based NAS running SAMBA and files served over SMB2

Clients: Windows Server 2017 v1607, Windows 10 b1809

FreeFileSync - 10.9 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 (Issue persists over multiple versions)
Site Admin

Zenju

If you send me a MiniDump file I could try to gather some more info, and at least find out the file that FFS is currently processing.
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSyncCrash.dmp:
seems somehow corrupted, I'm not able to debug this file.

FreeFileSync_Running.dmp:
FFS is currently scanning folders and it looks like the process has been cancelled (probably user clicking on cancel button)
One thread (presumably, the Linux-Based NAS) is hanging on a system call: ntdll.dll!NtQueryDirectoryFile()

I can't say anything about folder paths as the crash dump files are not "full memory dumps", but at least it's clear the issue is not with FreeFileSync, but with the network not responding.