has setup real time sync but get strange result

Get help for specific problems

nolan

Hi

i managed to setup real time sync and it runs fine. But if i delete a file from the destination folder its not removed from the source folder. I set it up to synchronize two ways.

using windows 10 pro

any suggestions?

Further, if i run a setup synchronizing a pair of folders, by first analyze and then sync - then deleted files on either side are deleted as supposed, but if i go direct to sync - then the files on the source folder is not deleted if i deleted then on the target folder. I assumed it would make no difference wether i first run analyze before sync or just press sync - shouldnt it give the same result ?

thanks

Nolan

xCSxXenon

Is it monitoring source AND destination, or just source?
That should also give the same result as well

nolan

Both, and if I create a file in destination folder is mirrored to source, but not deleting the file again from destination, that she's not remove the file in the source folder

Plerry

When in the FFS GUI, clicking Synchronize just executes the Actions listed in the Compare results window.
After making any changes in the left or right base folder or any of their subfolders, you first need to (re)run a Compare to let FFS determine proposed Actions for the actual synchronization.

nolan

yes thats what i assumed, but running real-time sync with the same setting does that in one go right ?

If so, how can it be that files deleted on destination folder is not deleted on the source folder, but if i manually run the same setting first compare and the execute - then the file on source folder is correctly deleted ?

any explanation and/or solution ?

thanks
Nolan

Plerry

yes thats what i assumed, but running real-time sync with the same setting does that in one go right ?nolan, 14 Sep 2020, 12:29
When launching an *.ffs_batch sync configuration from a command line, like when using RealTimeSync, FFS runs a Compare and Sync in one flow.
If you would launch a *.ffs_gui sync configuration via a command line, the configuration opens in the GUI, and requires you to manually start the actual sync. The same applies if you open a *.ffs_batch sync configuration from the GUI.
... If so, how can it be that files deleted on destination folder is not deleted on the source folder, but if i manually run the same setting first compare and the execute - then the file on source folder is correctly deleted ?nolan, 14 Sep 2020, 12:29
As stated before, a Compare needs to be performed prior to the actual Synchronization to detect any changes or differences that need to be synced.
Are you sure you have RealTimeSync launch a *.ffs_batch and not a *.ffs_gui sync configuration?

nolan

yes im sure about that. Could it be related to my synology nas server not creating the information that something has changed on the NAS (when deleting a file, not creating a file as this works as supposed) ?
Because forcefully running the setting does what its supposed - only real time does not - the only difference i can think of is the trigger that something has changed

any thoughts ?

Nolan

Plerry

The only thing I can imagine is that the NAS does not support the monitoring for changes as RTS uses.
This would then mean that RTS does not launch the FFS sync when any changes to the NAS are made.
Note that this notification depends on the OS. From the RTS Manual page:
RealTimeSync receives change notifications directly from the operating system in order to avoid the overhead of repeatedly polling for changes
But, once a FFS *.ffs_batch session is launched, the Compare phase should detect any changes/differences between both sides ans "staighten" those during the Synchronization.

nolan

yes i assume that could be it. But then i have to add a time based update too - can that be combined in the same batch with real time - if so how to perform that ?

xCSxXenon

Have we confirmed that it works when running manually?

nolan

yes if i run manually it works 👍

nolan

yes if i run manually it works

xCSxXenon

That's unexpected... Running a sync "directly" just runs a compare then sync, so it shouldn't provide different results. I'm sure this will work, but does the same behavior present itself when using local directories? I think you may be right about the NAS doing something funky

nolan

i tested sync raltime between local drive C to local drive D. Here it worked as supposed

Testing deleting file from source NAS does not delete file on destination NAS (2 different NAS)

any suggestions - thats strange.

Plerry

See my earlier reply (15 Sep 2020, 08:39).
Likely, directory monitoring of your (source) NAS by RealTimeSync does not work.
So, FreeFileSync (FFS) never gets launched based on any changes on the (source) NAS.
And obviously, when you launch FFS manually, it will detect any applicable differences and sync those according to the stored configuration.

nolan

yes i agree - i tested with another sync vice verca - which gave the same anomaly - so its server related (although i have no clue what causes this since creation of files are detected but not deletion)

thanks for your help

regards Nolan

nolan

Maybe the 2 NAS uses the same web site to sync time ? Because if I sync between C drive and NAS (the 2 uses diff time sync ) it works - its only between 2 NAS (using the same time sync) it don’t work

You know much more about this that I do - any ideas if this could be it ?