Will Windows 10 LTSC IoT be supported until end of life by FreeFileSync?

Discuss new features and functions

Mewto

The IoT version reaches the end of life in 2032 but the mainstream ends in 2025. I don't want to install Windows 11. Forward-thinking and paranoid, I know. But I want peace of mind. Please ignore this if no discussion has even begun yet. Will the FreeFileSync team continue to support it?

This software is pure awesomeness and legendary. The developers did an awesome job. Thanks.
Last edited by Mewto on 14 Apr 2022, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Plerry

Reaching end-of-life normally means that there will be no more updates.
However, the OS and software will normally continue to work as is, and likely will do so for many years to come. Just note how many people are apparently still using Windows XP ...

And you even often see that if, after all these years of being in existence, major issues pup up, in a "recently" end-of-life OS version, MS will still release fixes for those major bugs.

Mewto

Reaching end-of-life normally means that there will be no more updates.
However, the OS and software will normally continue to work as is, and likely will do so for many years to come. Just note how many people are apparently still using Windows XP ...

And you even often see that if, after all these years of being in existence, major issues pup up, in a "recently" end-of-life OS version, MS will still release fixes for those major bugs. Plerry, 14 Apr 2022, 13:54
I just realized how my question was worded. I am sorry. I meant will the FreeFileSync team continue to support Windows 10 LTSC IoT until 2032? Thanks.
Site Admin

Zenju

Short answer: most likely, yes

Long answer: Whether support will be dropped largely depends on two factors (both) being fulfilled:
1. low % of total FFS users (e.g. below 1%)
2. significant maintenance burden

So if 2 is not fulfilled, low number of users doesn't matter. And if 1 is not fulfilled, maintenance will be worthwhile.
2 also depends on if/when Microsoft will drop backwards compatibility of their developer tools (e.g. like they did for Windows XP eventually).

Mewto

Short answer: most likely, yes

Long answer: Whether support will be dropped largely depends on two factors (both) being fulfilled:
1. low % of total FFS users (e.g. below 1%)
2. significant maintenance burden

So if 2 is not fulfilled, low number of users doesn't matter. And if 1 is not fulfilled, maintenance will be worthwhile.
2 also depends on if/when Microsoft will drop backwards compatibility of their developer tools (e.g. like they did for Windows XP eventually). Zenju, 14 Apr 2022, 15:07
I see. Thanks.

xCSxXenon

Also, Windows 10 and 11 are essentially identical in their kernel. Chances are anything that works in 10 will work in 11 and vice versa, unless hard-coded not to of course

Mewto

Also, Windows 10 and 11 are essentially identical in their kernel. Chances are anything that works in 10 will work in 11 and vice versa, unless hard-coded not to of course xCSxXenon, 14 Apr 2022, 18:57
Thanks. Knowing that, I feel better.