shortcut run as administrator grayed out

Discuss new features and functions

careysb

I'm running FFS on Windows 10 and I've created a FFS batch file with a corresponding shortcut. This script requires that it be run as administrator. One way I can do that is to drag the shortcut to the taskbar and then Ctrl+Shift+Click it. Everything runs fine. What I want to do though is set the shortcut properties > Shortcut > Advanced >Run as Administrator. Unfortunately that last option is grayed out. I'm puzzled by this as I'm logged in with admin privileges.

My google searches have not turned up any solutions. Any ideas?

xCSxXenon

Are you logged in as the "administrator" user? If so, that runs everything as admin. Oddly enough, all my taskbar shortcuts can be checked to run as administrator except for File Explorer. I don't know what this means, just more info.
Site Admin

Zenju

Are you logged in as the "administrator" user? If so, that runs everything as admin. xCSxXenon, 11 May 2022, 14:15
Only when elevated in addition. Non-elevated admin accounts are the same as user accounts.

xCSxXenon

Are you logged in as the "administrator" user? If so, that runs everything as admin. xCSxXenon, 11 May 2022, 14:15
Only when elevated in addition. Non-elevated admin accounts are the same as user accounts. Zenju, 11 May 2022, 16:08
True, but not true for the built-in administrator account. A user with admin privileges is as you described, but what I described is how it works when you log into the normally-hidden administrator account
Site Admin

Zenju

You're right. It's easy to confuse what is meant when there are "Administrator" accounts, which are user accounts belonging to the "Administrators" group, and also an account literally named "Administrator", hidden by default.

careysb

I'm logged in as myself with admin privileges.

I poked around a bit. FFS creates a "batch" file ending in ".ffs_batch" that only the FFS program knows how to interpret. So, the shortcut launches FFS and passes in the .ffs_batch file. I tried setting "run as administrator" it worked for all my shortcuts that ran a .bat or a .exe but doesn't for freefilesync_x86.exe. I even tried to go into the directory where that executable resides and set it - no dice.

xCSxXenon

Gotcha! You can only set a shortcut to run as admin if it points to an exe. It sounds like you have a shortcut to the .ffs_batch file, which is why you can't check that box. You would need to create a shortcut that points to the FFS exe and has the .ffs_batch file passed as a parameter. Then you can check the box to run as admin