can I access files while sync is running

Discuss new features and functions

jsangman

Can I access files in the destination folder while the sync is running?

xCSxXenon

Yes

ladarrius

just wondering, how does FFS deal with files that are changed while a sync operation is running?

just based on observations of how it behaves, it looks like FFS works in 2 stages: comparison, and copy

I would therefore assume the following:

during the comparison stage, it scans the entire file system in the scope defined. if a change is made in a part it has already scanned, this is not picked up. if a change is made in a part it has not yet scanned, it will be picked up. this will then generate a to-do list of files to copy

then during the copy phase, any changes to files not on the to-do list are not reflected, any files on the to-do list, that were then changed in between the scan and copy operations, will have the new version copied. any files on the to-do list that no longer exist will generate an error

so the bottom line would be that there's no problem modifying files during a FFS operation as long as you accept the possibility that the sync will reflect either the pre or post modification state, but aside from that caveat, there will be no risk to a bad sync (e.g. lost or corrupted data) otherwise

is this understanding correct?

xCSxXenon

Yes