Sync only the directory tree

Discuss new features and functions

chota300

A prior post indicated this can be done in the Windows command line.
viewtopic.php?t=9255&p=34303&hilit=directory#p34303

But this can be a bit error prone, and tedious if the user does not want all of the directories at a given tree level to be replicated.

I would like to suggest that a new function be created within FFS to duplicate a directory structure without copying the files. This process is often needed when creating a new sync job covering a set of directories. This new function would essentially be a setup function when creating a new sync job.

Thank you.

Plerry

> I would like to suggest that a new function be created within FFS to
duplicate a directory structure without copying the files.

This already possible by:
• changing the Include Filter from * into *\
this should only include (and thus sync) directories

If you don't want all directories to be synced, first run a Compare (using above Include Filter), and then either select the directories to be included or, conversely, directories to be excluded, whichever is more convenient for your use-case.

> This process is often needed when creating a new sync job covering a set of directories.

When specifying a left or right base location, and the deepest level of the intended base location does exist yet, you can copy/paste or drag/drop the parent of the intended base location and then add/type the name of the new folder. FFS will then tell you that that location does not exist yet and ask if it should create it for you.
Site Admin

Zenju

A prior post indicated this can be done in the Windows command line.
viewtopic.php?t=9255&p=34303&hilit=directory#p34303 chota300, 22 Aug 2022, 21:03
You should have read the whole thread. The solution with FFS is right there: viewtopic.php?t=9255#p34607

> I would like to suggest that a new function be created within FFS to
duplicate a directory structure without copying the files.

This already possible by:
• changing the Include Filter from * into *\
this should only include (and thus sync) directories Plerry, 23 Aug 2022, 07:46
This doesn't work because there is an additional FFS filter rule:
• If the filter is matching a folder, all its files and subfolders are also (implicitly) matched. Thus the filter phrases SubFolder\ and SubFolder\* are synonymous.
I've added this to https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=exclude-files
This rule doesn't apply to the new *:. So the solution to OP's request is just a simple *: exclude filter.

chota300

Thank you both for your help.
I have read these replies repeatedly and have to admit that I still do not know what the correct method is.
Since you two do not seem to exactly agree either, I guess I should not feel too bad.

What led me to my frustration is attempting to replicate 13 selected root level directories ( only the directory trees ) into an existing directory on another disk, then sync all those selected directories at a later date ( due to the volume of files in them ) in a single sync job. I found this to be a tedious process, but I eventually got it done.

It would not surprise me too much if I were in the small minority of users attempting such a task. But perhaps others essentiallly do much of the same when creating a new sync job. If so, perhaps it is worthwhile to create a high-level filter option/switch to sync only the directory trees. Or maybe add a separate example of the include and/or exclude filters required for such. Even better would be an interface to select a number of directories on the source side, then select the top ( disk or directory ) for the target side, and build the sync job to sync the directory trees. But then again I do tend to think out of the box.

So thank you for your help.
If features or examples are added, I will try them as my needs arise.
If not, I will deal with the status quo.
FFS is a very good product as is.

Plerry

> Since you two do not seem to exactly agree

When in doubt, follow the advice of Zenju.
After all, Zenju is the author of FFS; I am just a (meanwhile) experienced user.