Dark mode

Discuss new features and functions

domag

@ xCSxXenon
1.) That goes without saying
2.) Missing the topic
3.) Downright destructive here, sorry

xCSxXenon

It's not destructive at all? What is destructive is underhand attacking the dev by implying he is choosing not to keep up with the "latest trends and users preferences" for his software, that he develops for 100% free, when he could otherwise use his limited free time to fix actual issues. It's open source, feel free to contribute to the dark mode progress.

max5637

@xCSxXenon

I believe the conversation is taking a direction which is not right. There is a forum and users are communicating what they would like to see in the product to make it better. No one is attacking anyone. No one is going to destruct anyone. Would you like to implement the Dark Theme? Great. No? We will survive. That's it.

lunacie

I'd like to add my request for dark mode as well. I work entirely in a very dark environment to which my eyes must adjust, with my computer's and all apps' UI darkened to not blow my night vision. Huge white rectangles are a non-starter for me, as it will interrupt my work for 30 minutes each time I do so, while my eyes readjust to the dark. Really grateful for any help here. I'd do it myself but have absolutely no coding skills.

Orko

good bye good old windows... with a dark theme in linux mint freefilesync is in dark mode too. so this is solved for me :-)

lunacie

Linux is, unfortunately, not an option for me, so the windows dark mode request is my only path forward.

tx42

+100,000,003,027 votes for dark mode. I know not everyone needs it, or gets what it is for, but for those of us who do rely on dark mode it is essential. Unless anyone knows a hack to get this dark on a mac?

domag

I have now simply donated another five Euros. With the request for Darkmode. But also with a thanks to all the already existing software. Done! This should not be a demand, but a legitimate incentive and I hope this does not seem arrogant or something. It should not seem now as if you can have everything for money. Really makes sense but only if others also act so... domag, 31 Oct 2021, 11:19
Paying increases the chances of Dark Mode. Also makes it easy ....

xCSxXenon

Because it doesn't exist? Can you read?

tx42

Because it doesn't exist? Can you read? xCSxXenon, 04 Apr 2022, 14:40
No need to get snarky mate. Clearly not everyone is quite as brilliant as you…
Site Admin

Zenju

I can't seem to find a "Dark mode" option, not on Windows anyway. vidmate apk download insta downloader tumenvid, 04 Apr 2022, 06:56
And another case where a seemingly "inattentive" poster, ist just some ordinary spammer...

xCSxXenon

No need to get snarky mate. Clearly not everyone is quite as brilliant as you… tx42, 04 Apr 2022, 14:58
Doesn't take brilliance to read, just basic common sense. Take your spam elsewhere

tx42

No need to get snarky mate. Clearly not everyone is quite as brilliant as you… tx42, 04 Apr 2022, 14:58
Doesn't take brilliance to read, just basic common sense. Take your spam elsewhere xCSxXenon, 05 Apr 2022, 17:24
And now the joke is on you my friend, because you didn’t take the time to read that I’m not the one who asked the question… I’m just a passerby who saw your unpleasant and unnecessary response. I suggest you take your arrogance elsewhere… 😘

xCSxXenon

Doesn't take brilliance to read, just basic common sense. Take your spam elsewhere xCSxXenon, 05 Apr 2022, 17:24
And now the joke is on you my friend, because you didn’t take the time to read that I’m not the one who asked the question… I’m just a passerby who saw your unpleasant and unnecessary response. I suggest you take your arrogance elsewhere… 😘 tx42, 05 Apr 2022, 18:01
I'll stay since I've helped plenty of people with their FFS endeavors and will continue to do so. It's not arrogant to expect people to do the absolute bare minimum. "I've tried nothing and I'm out of ideas!"

kxc

macOS Terminal
defaults write org.freefilesync.FreeFileSync  NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance 0
(press return)

defaults write org.freefilesync.FreeFileSync  NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance 1
(undo)
Last edited by kxc on 20 Aug 2022, 12:16, edited 2 times in total.

Elhem Enohpi

@kxc, thanks for the "defaults write" tip to get dark mode on Mac, exactly what I wanted! I had no idea it was already available.

Maybe this should be the default setting (follow the System appearance for dark or light mode)? I think a lot of other people would like this, so if not the default, it could be in the FAQ, manual, or in the preferences or something, to make it a little easier to find...

tx42

macOS
Terminal
defaults write org.freefilesync.FreeFileSync NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance 0 kxc, 07 Apr 2022, 18:38
@kxc you are a lifesaver - thank you!

kxc

@kxc, thanks for the "defaults write" tip to get dark mode on Mac, exactly what I wanted! I had no idea it was already available.

Maybe this should be the default setting (follow the System appearance for dark or light mode)? I think a lot of other people would like this, so if not the default, it could be in the FAQ, manual, or in the preferences or something, to make it a little easier to find... Elhem Enohpi, 01 May 2022, 18:09
It’s not build in the app, it’s a MacOS app system code. You can use it on many apps. Just change the follow url.

domag

Thank you!, but now the problem is solved only for apple users. This corresponds to about 7% of all PC users...
Site Admin

Zenju

macOS
Terminal
defaults write org.freefilesync.FreeFileSync NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance 0 kxc, 07 Apr 2022, 18:38
Can the resulting color scheme be considered ready for release?

There isn't any macOS dark-mode specific code in FFS at all. FFS just tries to consider system colors and fonts as good as it can on any platform.

Elhem Enohpi

I would say the theme is not perfect, but it's good enough for me, and it's a major improvement over the light theme for my eyes, so I'm quite happy with it... The main thing I notice is that the icons in the destination side, that display what's going to happen (green arrow etc.) and the file icons, have a bright green background. But it's only on the destination, in the source side they have a dark background as I'd expect. Also in the preferences and sync options windows, some of the text is a little dark, but still readable. I could post a screenshot if it helps.

kxc

delete
Last edited by kxc on 20 Aug 2022, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

Elhem Enohpi

The green background is too bright here:

And some of the text like "Identify equal files" here is too dim (actually it's too dim in light mode too) and the links are a little too dark blue:

But nothing really bad.

If you switch macOS between dark and light themes while FFS is running, it follows and changes automatically, but there are a couple of small glitches: the text of the Compare and Synchronize buttons doesn't switch, nor the background of the stats at the bottom. Switching from dark to light, you get:

(Button text is still white)

(Background is still black)

But if you quit FFS and restart it, it's fine.

I think you could have FFS set this pref by default. If the above minor glitches could be fixed, that would be great, but even if not, I think it would be ok. Maybe there could be a setting in the preferences window instead of "defaults write" in Terminal to disable it. But I think the great majority of people who use dark mode on Mac would really appreciate having it, even just the way it is now. As I said, I'm happy to have found this!

Schrotty

A Dark Mode for PC User was great and hope it's coming. For me the best Sync Tool on my PC.

Bump. This would be FANTASTIC. Thanks!

Blue_Lizard

Came here to post this. I have a problem with my eyes and dark mode is the only thing that helps.

As always, excellent app. Love it.
Site Admin

Zenju

I was going to post links to dark modes sample images, but got a "Listen, Spammer" notice. So, please, visit DuckDuckGo or Google and search for "Windows dark mode" :). joinnowuk, 31 Aug 2022, 11:15
Can you send me the text via email? I'm always interested to fix false-positive detections.
Site Admin

Zenju

I was going to post links to dark modes sample images, but got a "Listen, Spammer" notice. So, please, visit DuckDuckGo or Google and search for "Windows dark mode" :). get-vidmateapp.c0m/home get-mobdroapk.c0m joinnowuk, 31 Aug 2022, 11:15
Wow, you're brazen! The web server rightfully wasted time of your life! 😂
Your account was deleted.

spongetti

I have now simply donated another five Euros. With the request for Darkmode. But also with a thanks to all the already existing software. Done! This should not be a demand, but a legitimate incentive and I hope this does not seem arrogant or something. It should not seem now as if you can have everything for money. Really makes sense but only if others also act so... domag, 31 Oct 2021, 11:19
Paying increases the chances of Dark Mode. Also makes it easy .... domag, 25 Mar 2022, 06:31
Thank you very much for this great tool. I would also like to come back to the topic of "Dark Mode", because some of the users think that it is more important to focus on the essential functions and on stability in the further development of FFS. I agree with that. Nevertheless, an eye-friendly dark display is an important feature for me as well, especially since I have to spend a lot of time at the computer. This was also a reason why I decided to donate and I think if enough interested people are also already to make a small contribution than Dark Mode will be available one day.

matrixman222

+1 for Dark mode, great program I use to sync several big data directories I deal with, but a white screen burns my eyes out in a dark room.

Surprised it hasn't been implemented, changing several programs/OS I use to have a dark theme has just been heaven, the only relation I can see to this Dark Mode hesitation is like the Filezilla FTP devs hating dark mode (For whatever reason, give it a search on their forums. or the recent topic on their community "Seriously, where is the dark theme ??")

If the linux version of FFS has it already, why not windows?