email notifications

Get help for specific problems

peterlecki

I paid for the donation edition because I wanted the email notification functionality. Now the checkbox is enabled and I can enter the address but where do I configure the SMTP server? I'm finding no mention of this in documentation and people sharing scripts in the forum to do this manually.

xCSxXenon

You don't configure that. It doesn't send it from your email, it sends it to your email

peterlecki

Since SMTP servers are what send email, is one just hardcoded into your software?

xCSxXenon

Zenju is the dev, and basically, yes

bgstack15

Zenju has replied in other threads on this forum that the email notification feature uses some special web service he has subscribed to. Such a web service would be used with a generic https call, and that web service would then generate an email.

peterlecki

Got it, thanks guys. I've never seen SMTP hard coded, especially in free software, and always had to configure my own, hence my confusion.

SyncHole

If FFS is using a custom SMTP server that I don't control (or have access to), does this mean it won't work if my firewall blocks FFS connections to unknown locations?

From a privacy standpoint, I would be uncomfortable if FFS is communicating with such a location (and would therefore block it). I don't know what information FFS would send to that server (file names, contents (or at least hash values), etc.). I use other applications that send email notifications. These apps allow me to use my own SMTP server. Yes it's more complex to set up, but it gives me greater control and privacy.

rgreasley

Oh wow. I didn't realise that is what it does. There's no way in hell I'll enable email notification if it's going through a third party SMTP server.