Erroneous folder names after sync

Get help for specific problems

volksy67

I love FreeFileSync and have been using it for quite a while. Now and again when I run my Mirror process it changes folder names to all letter characters. The contents don't change, so I just rename them and save them. Here is an example of one folder name - WZDPGD-L. I'm not sure how this is happening. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

xCSxXenon

Um what
What is an example of an original folder name?

volksy67

I don't remember what that folder was but I just added new music to my library and this happened. Folder name is Wristmeetrazor. I added an album to one side and it changed the Folder name to WXDN4X~V on the right side but added the album into the folder correctly after I ran the mirror process. I change the Folder name back to Wristmeetrazor and then re-run the mirror process and all is well. It's pretty frustrating when I add music to my library and I have to go back and fix these random folder names. Thankfully it's not changing the contents. Not sure what's up. Thanks for responding. Maybe you can help? :)

Plerry

This reads like a classical file and folder name abbreviation.
In the Windows 3 and MS-DOS age, file names were restricted to the 8.3 naming format (max 8 characters, plus a max 3 charter file extension)
Longer filenames would then be abbreviated to fit the 8.3 format, generally comprising a tilde (~) as the 7th character.
WXDN4X~V exactly fits this pattern.
However, no clue what may have caused this.

therube

Here is an example of one folder name - WZDPGD-L
When you said "example", here, you are in fact meaning an example - because that particular name is not a Windows short file name type name.

You're backing up from a local disk (?) to what?
Does that "to what" enforce some sort of 8.3?
Are most of your directory names (& by that token, I'd expect ? filenames too, to be) "short" SFN's?
If you manually create a directory on the other end, say, "supercalifragilistic", does that get named "supercalifragilistic", or SFN?

Seems Synology, though not Windows based, uses Windows naming conventions.
And seemingly if you use (Windows) "illegal" characters (though in your case you weren't - or at least it seems that way [tailing space or dot would be hard to detect, "Wristmeetrazor "]), they may end up being changed to 8.3.
https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/tutorial/file_or_folder_name_displayed_as_12HWA0_8

xCSxXenon

Yeah, this really sounds like a problem outside of FFS