ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED: Access is denied [MoveFileEx]

Get help for specific problems

Nxzli

Hello all!

I am having an issue with FFS, and after searching this help forum and failing to find my issue, I've decided to make my own thread.

I keep receiving an error regarding the GlobalSettings.xml. Whenever this error pops up, my synchronization stops. I can't figure out why this error keeps occurring, so I am hoping that someone here has an idea of what's going on.

I'm using Windows Server 2019, a two-way synchronization, file system is NTFS, and I am not intending or have set up for GlobalSettings.xml to be synchronized to anything. Do I need to add an exception for GlobalSettings.xml, even if it's not in the folders I am synchronizing? I notice it's using a .tmp file, and I have turned off fail-safe copies in my FFS settings, could that be the issue?

This doesn't happen every time I synchronize, but if I leave RTS running, eventually this error pops up and halts the synchronization process.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Attachments
ffserror.png
ffserror.png (56.26 KiB) Viewed 3495 times

xCSxXenon

I also had this issue once with RTS. I clicked 'retry' on the RTS icon and it never came back. It makes no sense either, because that file/location definitely isn't in any of my sync configurations

Nxzli

I also had this issue once with RTS. I clicked 'retry' on the RTS icon and it never came back. It makes no sense either, because that file/location definitely isn't in any of my sync configurations xCSxXenon, 25 Sep 2022, 14:45
Thanks for the information! I let it run for these past two days, and it hasn't thrown that particular error anymore. I am now getting a new error though, which from reading it, is kind of beyond me. I don't really know what this error is trying to tell me, that it can't delete a file because the file exists? Maybe someone can help me figure this one out.
Attachments
ffserror.png
ffserror.png (42.13 KiB) Viewed 3121 times

xCSxXenon

You might fix that by clearing your recycle bin

Nxzli

You might fix that by clearing your recycle bin xCSxXenon, 28 Sep 2022, 16:27
Thank you for this ! I re-did my sync settings and this issue went away, but I did also empty the recycling bin which was pretty full.

Unfortunately now I'm just consistently getting that first error again! What a turn of events. I even check-marked for my sync to "ignore errors" and hopefully continue syncing anyways, but it doesn't want to ignore this GlobalSettings.xml error.

AE1971

Hello, I read this issue and I also have the same problem since a few days. When I sync files, I can not delete some old files. I use the same config for year, and since 2 days I encounter these problems! It are files on a server that can not be deleted!

AE1971

Hello, I read this issue and I also have the same problem since a few days. When I sync files, I can not delete some old files. I use the same config for year, and since 2 days I encounter these problems! It are files on a server that can not be deleted! AE1971, 29 Sep 2022, 06:14
I see that emptying my recycle bin works!
Site Admin

Zenju

In case someone is able to reproduce the ERROR_FILE_EXISTS error when moving a file to the recycle bin, I'd like to have a look at a Process Monitor trace, because this error doesn't make sense:
https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace

BenThere

I am also having this issue with Globalsettings.xml, however when I check the file It has been updated and it appears that the update occurs at the same time the error is thrown. I'm currently waiting to see if the error will hang the update of the files that RTS is due to mirror.
Currently it does appear that the mirror process is hung, but it might be due to my impatience, so I'll wait another few minutes to see. OK, it's been 5+ min. with no mirror action, so I killed the notification and the mirror occurred within 5 sec, which is what I have the idle time set to.
I have not detected any pattern to when this error notification is thrown, it has occurred within a couple of minutes and sometimes it may be near an hour, but since it halts the mirror execution I am concerned and searching for a solution .
I have checked the RecycleBin, very few files there but deleted them anyway, still throwing the error.
Can I /should I / How do I, disable this notification to stop the interruption.

BobMac1547

I've been having the same problem of ERRORACCESS_DENIED Access is denied. [MoveFileEx] for several months. Recycle bin is empty. Still no love. Don't know what else to do.

Error is intermittent and unpredictable. I fear that a trace log might get humongous so I haven't tried that. Should I?

BTW, it's not that I care about the error itself. It's that it makes me not confident that the program works properly and that definitely does concern me.

Ideas? Thoughts? Rants?

Mwyarm

I need to add on that I am also getting "ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED: Access is denied. [MoveFileEx]. I am using Icedrive to synch my files to the cloud. I occasionally use FFS to verify all of my files have synched. Icedrive uses a model which mounts a virtual drive. I use FFS to compare my local files with Icedrive's virtual drive and when it finishes identifying mismatches I synchronize 1 way from local to the virtual drive. FFS shows copying the 2.5GB file (can be 1.5GB) in the counter and pauses at 2.5GB for about 10 seconds or so and then the error pops up. I have used FFS for over the past year performing the same synch and this started about 1-2 months ago. I first thought it was Icedrive but after coming here and seeing on and off posts with the same message something has changed.

I have not changed Win 10 Pro other than Win 10 updates (sometime in the past 1-2 months I am sure I have had a least 1 update). The Icedrive virtual model has not changed - at least it looks the same to me.

After lots of frustration, I found if I go to "tools", "options" and unclick "Fail-safe file copy" I don't get the problem. I was not required to do that previously. It states leaving this option on is recommended. I am not 100% sure what FFS is doing differently but I think FFS is just copying the file without using .tmp approach and renaming after it is copied. Whatever FFS does differently by unclicking that option I am able to synch without any problems.

Again, no changes I am aware of but I would prefer not to have that option off if it is recommended. Also, I am having to remember when I am doing an Icedrive synch to turn that off. I forget often and when I come back to the synch window the error is there, I cancel the sync session, unclick that option, click sync and all is good.

Is there a fix for this? Thanks all

Mwyarm

Any idea how to fix FFS without turning off "Fail safe file copy?" I don't see where I can post a picture but it is exactly the same as to what the person posted above? Help Please!

EddyIT

Hello guys,

I had the same issue a week ago and followed the error to determine which file was not able to be copied and pasted. I then right-clicked on the file that had the error, went to Properties, then Security, and added my account to the group or user names, giving it full control over the folder. As a result, my error has been fixed!

Mwyarm

Thanks for the reply. So, to be clear. You wen to the file that is to be copied and changed the properties and add your account. I am not savy on file property security so can you give me some more direction as to what account I should add. Is this an account that FFS uses?

Thanks

Mwyarm

Thanks for the reply. So, to be clear. You wen to the file that is to be copied and changed the properties and add your account. I am not savy on file property security so can you give me some more direction as to what account I should add. Is this an account that FFS uses?

Thanks

Mwyarm

Also, how does this help me when I have 100's of files to be synch'd?

EddyIT

To be clearer, in order to copy this file and its destination, you need to grant admin access to both. To do this, add your Windows 10 profile, which you are using during the sync process, to the security tab of both files. Additionally, you need to give access to the main file that contains the 100 files.

tooluka

hi, had the same issue after i had a disk corruption - ran chkdsk and had to create a new recyclebin on that external drive. Tried changing permissions on all accounts to full control on the recycle bin and then the root of that drive and still had the error. Checked "run as administrator" in properties of the freesynchfile.exe and now it works fine....