import command lines

Get help for specific problems

Brett

Hello,
Just new to FFS. This may be a stupid question, but how do I create a command line? I've looked at AllDaySync where I should add this line, apparently a simple thing but I don't understand much about it.
What do I want to sync? My music server contains the SSD drive W: which I can access via my desktop and in my NAS there is drive Z: which I can also access via my desktop. On my desktop in explorer it looks like this:
> Muziekbibliotheek(\\SONICTRANSPORT\storage\music)(W:)
>Muziek(\\NAS4BDIJKSTRA)(Z:)
verkenner.jpg
verkenner.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Now I want disk Z to always look like disk W, hence RealTimeSync. I have already created a command line but want to know if it is OK.
Made a screenshot of it:
RealTimeSync ingevuld als proef.jpg
RealTimeSync ingevuld als proef.jpg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 711 times
I hope it worked.
Thanks for reading, answering and helping, Brett.

Plerry

Your RTS command line should not again invoke RTS, but rather FFS and the FSS sync configuration.
See https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=realtimesync

Brett

Thanks Plerry for your answer.
I appreciate you taking the trouble to help me.
It is difficult for me to understand the manual. Especially the chapter about the command line in FreeTimeSync. With the help of some friends we went to try it again. Unfortunately, they also had a lot of trouble understanding the manual. Is the manual perhaps too unclear for people who are not familiar with this matter? In the end it turned out that I had taken the examples far too literally. Together we just created a new command line and will apply it tomorrow:
But if you think it should be different which command line would you make? You can read what I want in my first post. I have already made a synchronization of both folders. By the way, I already made a ffs_batch file of it.
The beginning of the command line must be D:ProgramFiles\ because that's where FFS is stored.
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2022-09-28 224748.jpg
Schermafbeelding 2022-09-28 224748.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 366 times

xCSxXenon

The manual is pretty straightforward...
Start RealTimeSync.exe located in FreeFileSync's installation directory and enter the folders you want to monitor. Instead of doing this manually you can import an ffs_batch file via Menu → File → Open or simply via drag and drop. RealTimeSync will not only extract all directories relevant for synchronization, but will also set up the command line to execute the ffs_batch file each time changes are detected. Now press Start to begin monitoring.

Brett

Hi xCSxXenon,
Thanks for your comment.
Unfortunately, your help is of little use to me, as it adds nothing to my ignorance. Of course I had already read this text. In addition, English is not my native language.
Meanwhile I tried something else. In that manual it says that you can also just import a ffs_batch file (I think there is no menu in the FTS screen and you have to choose File first). I did that and get the following screen:
FTS afbeelding met command line 29-09-22.jpg
FTS afbeelding met command line 29-09-22.jpg (100.88 KiB) Viewed 347 times
I see a command line, nice. Does it execute the command the way I want it to? I don't see that right away. I now see folder Z: as the first folder and folder W: as the second folder. folder W; is now called \\SONICTRANSPORT\storage\music\Music Library
If the first folder is the source and the second folder is the target, it's going in the wrong direction.
I assume the command line got its information from the imported ffs_batch file.
The reason I'm so worried and unsure is because of the W: drive with my 2TB music library. It contains music and updated metadata that I lose if something goes wrong. I don't want to take that risk. I hope you understand it.
What I'm going to try is to create two new folders with some music files. I'm going to sync that, create a ffs_batch file and import it into FTS, which creates an automatic command line. Then I import an extra music file into the first folder and see what FTS does. If that goes well I can get started with the original folders.

Brett

Back again,
I have now made two new folders (A: and B:) with some music files. These are synchronized with FFS (compare and mirror). I saved it as an ffs-batch file. I imported this file into FTS:
FTS afbeelding A naar B in D met opmerkingen 29-09-22.jpg
FTS afbeelding A naar B in D met opmerkingen 29-09-22.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 341 times
A: is the source folder and B: is the target folder.
Adding a new file in folder A: and gave a start.
The result is exactly as it should be.
Now in the FTS screen I see a reverse order for the W: (\\SONICTRANSPORT\storage\music\Music Library) = source folder and the Z: = target folder.
The Z: folder is mentioned first and the W: folder second. Does this change the order of Source and Target?
Attachments
FTS afbeelding met command line 29-09-22 met opmerkingen.jpg
FTS afbeelding met command line 29-09-22 met opmerkingen.jpg (86.42 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Plerry

The sequence in which folders are listed in the RTS "to be watched"/"Mappen om te bekijken" list is irrelevant. In this case, both mentioned folders (and their subfolders) will be monitored for changes,
and upon detecting any, FFS will be launched, opening the specified FFS sync configuration(s).
The FFS sync configuration (the *.ffs_batch file) then provides FFS the info on the type of sync to be run, the locations involved and the sync direction(s). RTS is blissfully unaware of this.

However, as you run a Mirror sync, you only need to monitor the mirror-source location, not the mirror-destination location, as only there changes that need to be synced can/will occur. So, you can even safely delete the mirror-destination location from the "to be watched" list in the RTS GUI (via the red minus-icon in front of it).

Brett

Thanks Plerry for your usefull answer.