FolderAccessTimeout (revisited)

Discuss new features and functions

JDB

Hello,

There have been other discussions of this in the past. There used to be a configuration option called FolderAccessTimeout that allowed FFS to wait for idle disks to spin up. I can't recall whether it was per folder pair or system wide. The parameter disappeared, and now it just defaults to 20 seconds.

Unfortunately, I need 30 seconds.

Enhancement request: Please restore the settable parameter, or change the default to 30 seconds.

It's not the end of the world for me if it's not fixed, because I don't use batch jobs, and I can click again after the 20 seconds expires and the backup will start properly. However if I ever use batch jobs, this could be more of a problem. (unless batch jobs have a longer default) It is mildly annoying to stare at the screen waiting for the 20 second timeout, and then clicking again to restart the backup.

Is there a good technical reason why the timeout default can't be 30 seconds? It certainly won't adversely affect anyone whose disks spin up right away.

Is it totally abnormal for an external USB drive to take 30 seconds to spin up? (Hitachi TOURO, I think they are notorious for this.) The stupid drives also go idle after just 15 minutes, so I am frequently waiting for them to spin up. If I ever get some more discretionary cash, maybe I'll buy new drives.

Thank you,

-John
Site Admin

Zenju

(S)FTP and Google Drive already have user-configurable timeouts. This leaves native file system, and MTP.
I think we probably don't need an extra layer of 20-sec timeout on top of that!?
FreeFileSync 11.30
------------------
Removed 20-sec timeout while checking directory existence

Riot

Does this mean native file system, and MTP will get user-configurable timeouts? Or they just have no timeout now?