VerifyCopiedFiles should be GUI option

Discuss new features and functions

gradi

This page explains about VerifyCopiedFiles:

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=expert-settings

I edited the GlobalSettings.xml file and turned on VerifyCopiedFiles.

I think this option should be in the GUI though. It is something that we should be able to just put a checkmark on to get the verify function.

I also have Syncback and Teracopy and they both have the verify option in the GUI that you easily select to turn on.

Editing a hidden, cryptic file is very kludgy.

therube

deceptively reading valid data from various buffers in the application and hardware stack
And as far as that goes, & not that I know, particularly, but FastCopy also contains a (self-contained) hash utility that by default (appears to) invalidate any "cache" (which I'll also assume also pertains to verifications made on the copy end), & if that is the case, then there might be some means for FFS to also invalidate any cache such that at least the quoted part would no longer be of concern.

gradi

Yes, I know that verify is not perfect. Just as using seatbelts in a car is not a 100% guarantee you won't die in an auto accident. They are in many cases helpful though, as are airbags.

Years ago I had a case where a few files were corrupted in a big copy of tens of thousands of files (not using verify) and I didn't discover it until more than a year later and by that time the source drive was no longer working. Since then I use verify because it gives one more chance to possibly catch this sort of thing.

Other programs such as Syncback and Teracopy have verify in their GUI. Easy to use or not use. And just like those programs, if it is added to FreeFileSync it should be something that can be selected or not selected for each configuration. With the current strange scheme where you must edit a cryptic hidden file it becomes a global setting for all configurations.

gradi

Any update on this issue?

gradi

Is adding this as a GUI option being considered? Seems like a very simple, reasonable, and obvious thing to do.

Plerry

As described, VerifyCopiedFiles is a setting stored in "your" GlobalSettings.xml-file, just like e.g. FailSafeFileCopy.
If running syncs with or without VerifyCopiedFiles is that important for you, you may act as described in viewtopic.php?t=9914#p36695 , but then for VerifyCopiedFiles instead of FailSafeFileCopy.