Detailed logs

Get help for specific problems

kasia

Hello!
I am new to the program and I am trying to synchronise files etc using my MacBook Pro. I have few questions, which I tried to find answers on the forum but could not find, so hopefully someone can help me out.
1. Is there a way to get a detailed log ( in text or html ) after doing compare of folders/ locations? I can't seem to find way to produce an actual detailed log , I am only able to see it in interface. So I wonder if there is another way of doing it to produce an actual log?
2. When finishing for example mirror job I want to make sure that I get a full log of items transferred, in principle I do get a log but the only details that are there is : Warnings, Items processed,Total time, and the general names of the created folders/ files. Is there a way to include in the log a details of each folder/ file, such as example file size etc , that way I can clearly compare which of my folders/ files were fully transferred without need of going to each of them hand by hand. I am aware that after doing job one could look at compare the both spaces, but if I have massive amount of data ,it will be very tedious to have to visually look through each of the file in the interface in order to detect differences.
3. Can I interrupt the mirro process half way, and still get some of the work done and logs?

Plerry

1)
If you want a "log" of the FFS Compare results, you can run a Compare and then in the mains menu select "Tools" and then "Export file list".
A log of the sync is always created after a sync, and available via the icon just right of the Overview window.

3)
You can interrupt (Stop) a sync during its execution.
Assuming you use the FFS GUI Stop button, FFS will then finish transferring the file(s) it was copying or moving at the time the Stop command was received, and then stop. Any sync actions already executed will not be reversed.
I never checked, but I assume a log-file will also be created.
In case you kill the FFS process during a sync, e.g. via the Task Manager, FFS terminates abnormally.
Any already completed file copy or moves are not reversed. A log will not be created.
Site Admin

Zenju

Assuming you use the FFS GUI Stop button, FFS will then finish transferring the file(s) it was copying or moving at the time the Stop command was received, and then stop. Plerry, 26 Jan 2023, 07:54
Just to update your mental model, Plerry: This is only the case for the "Pause" button (viewtopic.php?t=6562). "Stop" OTOH will (more or less) abort immediately, and discard any partially copied files.

kasia

Assuming you use the FFS GUI Stop button, FFS will then finish transferring the file(s) it was copying or moving at the time the Stop command was received, and then stop. Plerry, 26 Jan 2023, 07:54
Just to update your mental model, Plerry: This is only the case for the "Pause" button (viewtopic.php?t=6562). "Stop" OTOH will (more or less) abort immediately, and discard any partially copied files. Zenju, 26 Jan 2023, 08:11
Alright, thank you all for the answers. Following the thought process I've got another question , maybe this is tedious but I want to make sure I understand how the program works correctly. So here is the scenario:
I am transferring large amount of data from portable drive (for example 1TB), into my company cloud server. The issue is it may take more than a day, in mean time I can't physically take the disk with me outside of the building. That mean I would have to stop the process while leaving. The question I have :
1. Should I use stop or pause button to do so?
2. While stopping/ or pausing will I still have the data processed over the whatever amount of time transferred over?
3. I will physically have to unplug the drive from my laptop while leaving, meaning while I can keep the program interface open etc , does it mean that next day I can come back plug in and continue work? Or will I have to start over the process from scratch again?
4. I suppose either way the answer is to question 3, is not as important as the question if the data processed over the time before interrupting (stop/pause) will be saved ? Meaning wont be wasted of many hours .
I hope my question/ scenario is relatively clear.