Found a Bug? -SOLVED-

Discuss new features and functions

Kasjo

Hello guys.

By the way, in my Opinion the best sync tool out there.

Ok to the bug. I'm using this tool to update mods to my Day Z folder via FTP by fragnet.

I got always the error: CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: FTP response timeout
I got this always on bigger files and i figured out, the problem was the TimeOut. So i rised them up and now it works.
But the bug was, even i got this error, the Programm canceld and stops as expected. I closed Free File Sync, and checked the file via Filezilla on the server and i saw there, the file is still uploading. Pressing refreh shows me even if FreeFile Sync abort the process and is closed, the file is still uploading. I didnt found anything on the taskmanager, only the Upload runs on max.

Its hard for me to explain, im from germany, but i can make also A video of this strange thing if you want. May its not a bug, i dont know, but for me, if i close a program, it should work like this. If it says abort or cancle or error, i expect the program closed also the connection.
Last edited by Kasjo on 03 Mar 2019, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

Zenju

I got always the error: CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: FTP response timeout
I got this always on bigger files and i figured out, the problem was the TimeOut. So i rised them up and now it works. Kasjo, 01 Mar 2019, 19:23
Fixed. FFS was using libcurl's CURLOPT_FTP_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT in addition to CURLOPT_LOW_SPEED_TIME, former of which puts a hard limit on total time per file copy, while latter is sufficient to detect network stalls. So with the new version, you should be fine with the 15 sec default, no matter the file size:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/599f1pltzandnpz/FreeFileSync_10.10_%5BBeta%5D_Windows_Setup.exe

But the bug was, even i got this error, the Programm canceld and stops as expected. I closed Free File Sync, and checked the file via Filezilla on the server and i saw there, the file is still uploading. Pressing refreh shows me even if FreeFile Sync abort the process and is closed, the file is still uploading. I didnt found anything on the taskmanager, only the Upload runs on max.

Its hard for me to explain, im from germany, but i can make also A video of this strange thing if you want. May its not a bug, i dont know, but for me, if i close a program, it should work like this. If it says abort or cancle or error, i expect the program closed also the connection. Kasjo, 01 Mar 2019, 19:23
Yes, a video sounds like a good idea. I cannot imagine how FTP continues to upload after you've clicked cancel.

Kasjo

There you go. The first thing in the video you see is my file i want to upload. It has a file size of 550~ MB.
The Target folder is empty.
This test is with the current 15 timeout setting. You see the abort, also i Abort the hole thing, and close the Program. After that i open File zilla , navigate to the folder and simple press F5 for refresh. You see the file size is growing. My Max Upload is 1.2 MB per second. Taskmanager shows more because its a 10mbit conection.
Funny thing, on background the file will uploaded until its reachid his 550MB.... Dont ask me why this happens. I have no idea...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCw4cd6puKk&feature=youtu.be

I took the path to the folder from my Netwrok drive on the explorer. Like : ftp://user@185.62.205.109:8821/185.62.205.109_2402/mods to update/

Edit:
Got the same error: CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT: FTP response timeout
May its a Server Side Problem?
Site Admin

Zenju

A few observations:

1. You're still using FFS 10.9, not the beta I linked above, hence the CURLE_OPERATION_TIMEDOUT.

2. the top and bottom panels of FFS's main dialog seem squished: Did you do that or did this happen after updating from an old FFS version? Fix is: menu->tools: reset layout.

3. the beginning of your 500 MB sync, the progress is much faster than expected. The data is buffered somewhere, but it's not FFS, which is only using 512kB buffer for FTP. Also after FFS is closed (you can confirm via Task Manager that the process is gone), it's not possible for FFS to do anything. I suspect you have some other software installed that is both responsible for the buffered upload, as well as the continuing upload after FFS has quit. Perhaps some kind of "network optimizing software"?

Kasjo

to 1. Last Test was with the 10.10. (Screenshot) ( The edit on my last post)
On the video i was using the older version. Just want to show the upload thing.

2. Done

3. Hmm thats the point. I have a "kiler Network Manager" installed, that comes with the Laptop. May this is the reason. I dont install any other tunings tuff. But may this causing the Problem...

Need to find then drivers only. If not i fhave then to use filezilla for bigger files. On the Screens you can see, still the same problem. Also with the beta.

I report back if i find dirvers only to test without this Network Manager thing.
Attachments
Anmerkung 2019-03-02 140808.jpg
Anmerkung 2019-03-02 140808.jpg (74.28 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Anmerkung 2019-03-02 135756.jpg
Anmerkung 2019-03-02 135756.jpg (219.79 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Site Admin

Zenju

Maybe I was a little too fast with my "fix" above. I made a few tests and it turns out the semantics of CURLOPT_FTP_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT are *not* the same as CURLOPT_TIMEOUT (which puts a hard limit on total transfer time). My tests confirm this, so even with FFS 10.9 there is no restriction on the uploaded file size that depends on the time out.
It seems more likely that the time out error is a consequence of your "Network Manager" software. Empirically, based on your video, it seems this software just accepts any amount of data, thous "simulates" a tremendous speed for a short time by buffering the data, then just ceases to respond until after the work has been done. This is consequently interpreted as a "hang" by libcurl, and leads to the timeout error.

Kasjo

Yeah, i will send you a feedback. Need to remove the Network Manager first :) I like FreeFileSync and i donated allready because its one of the best tools out there. I guess its this software that conflicts. Thanks anyway to look into it man. :)

Kasjo

Ok, here is my final Feedback. I tested everything on my Yoga Book, and there, everything works fine. So i uninstalled the killer netwrok stuff, used alsow the Uninstaller tool from homepage. Nothing worked. Deleted and reinstalled all drivers, installed diver only package from Acer and also i tryed the packages from "killerNetwork" himself... Nothing worked.

I dont know how to desable this caching feature so i need then to update my stuff via FileZilla. Thanks a lot for your help, just want to let you know, your software is working.

Kasjo

Found the Problem. After Changing many Drivers, changing the Wifi Modul, and testing last but not least a different Antivirus, i figured out, it was Windows Defender.

I put FreeFileSync to the withelist, also Filezilla, now both Programms upload as expectet with all Details to time and speed. I never touched any settings on them.. but nice to know for the Future.

This Thread can be closed.
Site Admin

Zenju

Amazing find! Now it would be interesting to know what exactly Windows Defender is doing. Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce this situation on my end.

Kasjo

Well, i have no idea. Becasue on my Yoga Book i dont need to change anything and it works, but may i changed a setting on defender on the past. I have no other answer. But on a standard Config of defender, it will have no problem,

tigcf

Hi, digging this up, sorry...
What about for Mac OS10.11? this problem is happening to me with large files, and there's no windows defender to mess arround with...

trevora

Hi, digging this up, sorry...
What about for Mac OS10.11? this problem is happening to me with large files, and there's no windows defender to mess arround with... tigcf, 31 Jan 2021, 20:37
Same here on MacOs Monterey on FFS 12.0 Donation syncing from GDrive to local.