FreeFileSync 11.29: unacceptable TLS certificate in Linux Mint 21.1

Get help for specific problems

Markinson

Hi all of you and sorry for my terrible English!

When I try to install FreeFileSync 11.29 version into my Linux Mint 21.1 Vera (based on Ubuntu 22.04 jammy), by Software Manager, I receive the following error message:
"An error occurred | While downloading https://kparal.fedorapeople.org/mirror/freefilesync/FreeFileSync_11.29_Linux.tar.gz: Unacceptable TLS certificate".

I've done different checks and I encounter this issue in two different computers both with Linux Mint 21.1.

In one of this computer, starting by Linux Mint 20.3 and where is available in the repository (by Software Manager) and regularly installed the (old) version 11.17 (Flathub):
• if I launch FreeFileSync 11.17 it advises to me there is a newer version, but it's no possible to "auto-update" (the button is grey);
• then, if I upgrade to Linux Mint 21.1 and try to update FreeFileSync too, by Update Manager, the software doesn't update and still remain at version 11.17, even if the Update Manger suggests to me to update to newer 11.29 release.
So, into Linux Mint 21.1, if I uninstall FreeFileSync 11.17 and try to re-install it by Software Manager, where it's available in the repository only the 11.29 version, I receive the issue above.

Anyway, in both computers I'm able to install FreeFileSync 11.29 downloading the software (in ".tar.gz") directly from the official site.

I supposed it was something about certificates, so I reinstalled these (for example by "sudo apt install --reinstall ca-certificates"), but this not solved.

I hope I was able to sufficiently explain the question ... :)
Site Admin

Zenju

Apparently it's an unofficial FreeFileSync package. This is someone else's problem.

Markinson

I don't know, really.
I also change the mirrors into "Software Sources", but the issue is still there.

byroniac

Markinson

Thank you so much for your help and submitting on Github.
Really I was wondering who could manage and how to update/modify the copy of FreeFileSync stored in the repository/mirror, downloadable by "Software Manager".
... I hope I was able to explain what I mean ...

Markinson

Hi all! :)
I don't know if this could be useful, but please take a look to THIS thread in Linux Mint forum.

In few words, it seems the issue is only under Linux Mint 21.1 (Ubuntu 22.04), not even in Linux Mint 20.3 (Ubuntu 20.04 based).
Otherwise I really don't if there is something at repository level ... do you think this could be important to report under Github?

Markinson

Now it's available from repository the version 12.0 and I was able to upgrade to this without any issue!