Comparison: Ignore File Size

Get help for specific problems

EricLEdberg

When I compare "file time and size" on my phones DCIM folder to my PC folder it "updates" all new pictures to the computer folder as expected. I often then edit a selected picture on the computer to reduce size and re-post.

When I compare again, FFS does not detect that the file size of a modified computer image (same name) is not the same between the 2 folders

- this is the behavior I want, but it does not match what I thought would happen...

I would have expected that FFS would detect file size mis-match and offer to copy the source again. The date is also different since I've updated the destination file.

Any hints on what really should occur? I would not want to loose updates in the destination should this behavior change due to my ignorance...

EricLEdberg

I guess the "right side is newer" option overrides?

Plerry

If you modify a file, I suppose the date and very likely the size of the modified version will change.
If you then run a Compare in FreeFileSync (FFS), comparing by "file time and size", it should detect the differences.
But, the suggested sync action (if any) depends on the sync variant you have selected (TwoWay, Mirror, Update, or Custom). Both the Mirror and Update sync variant will only copy left-to-right (if applicable), never righ-to-left. So if you have modified a file in the right-side location, and you use the Mirror or Update sync variant, FFS will never suggest to copy right-to-left.

Your "right side is newer" is one of the FFS Compare result categories.
Which action is taken for this Compare result category depends on the sync variant you selected.