Problem with batch files as scheduled task

Get help for specific problems

dmatter

I have created a batch file and I am using Windows task manager to run it from a scheduled task. The batch runs properly; however, when freefilesync finishes the task still says "running" in the task manager window. As a work around I have the task set to end if it runs for more than 1 hour, but this isn't a very desirable solution. Does anyone know why the task isn't telling windows it is done?
Site Admin

Zenju

Have you activated the silent mode? If not there will be a status window at the end of the process which is open until someone clicks OK.

-Zenju

dmatter

Have you activated the silent mode? If not there will be a status window at the end of the process which is open until someone clicks OK.

-ZenjuZenju
Yes, I have tried both ways. In non-silent mode the task still shows as running after I click OK. In silent mode the task still shows as running even after the freefilesync executable has disappeared from task manager.
Site Admin

Zenju

Yes, I have tried both ways. In non-silent mode the task still shows as running after I click OK. In silent mode the task still shows as running even after the freefilesync executable has disappeared from task manager.dmatter
Could you test if this behaviour is specific to FreeFileSync by scheduling some other program and see if it also is shown as still running? I also tested on my machine (XP SP3) and couldn't reproduce the issue.

-Zenju

dmatter

Could you test if this behaviour is specific to FreeFileSync by scheduling some other program and see if it also is shown as still running? I also tested on my machine (XP SP3) and couldn't reproduce the issue.

-ZenjuZenju
I have figured out that it is a bug in Win7 RC. Sometimes when I manually run the scheduled task the status remains "ready" even though it is really running. the system user executed the freefilesync process so it is invisible unless you click the view processes from all users button in task manager. Because the task still said ready I would click it again. The second time it would change to 'running" but now there are two instances of freefilesync running. for whatever reason they don't terminate properly when this happens so the task will show as running until it is manually ended.

I'm sure that was hard to follow, but the long and short of it is that it works fine when it is allowed to run on schedule. sometimes there can be problems when starting the task manually, but this is because of a problem with Win7 RC.

Zenju, thanks for your help and thanks for taking the time to test this on your end.