The following folders have dependent paths. Be careful when setting up synchronization rules:

Get help for specific problems

apb1963

I just downloaded FreeFileSync about a half hour ago. Looks like a really nice application. After some stumbling around, I've started to get the hang of it, but now I've run into this error: "The following folders have dependent paths. Be careful when setting up synchronization rules:"

I sort of understand it, but I really don't. Dependent on what? What should I be careful of? Is there documentation and/or a list of error messages and what they mean?

I'm using ubuntu 12.04

Thank you kindly.
Site Admin

Zenju

Improvements to the wording of this message are welcome.
It shows up when the path you entered on the left hand side is equal or contained in the path you entered on the right. Such a configuration can create cycles, e.g. when a file is copied to the folder further down in hierarchy this implicitly affects the folder that is further up (except when exclusion filters prevent this situation).

E.g. syncing `C:\folder -> C:\folder\subfolder` endlessly creates subfolders with each run; usually such a config doesn't make sense.

Plerry

> Improvements to the wording of this message are welcome.

What about:
"There is a full or partial overlap of the left and right folder.
Be careful when setting up synchronization rules."
Site Admin

Zenju

The second part with "Be careful..." is really unclear. On the other hand there is no simple explanation about what's dangerous: Usually it just doesn't make sense. But there may be scenarios where it makes sense but then only in combination with an appropriate include filter. So let's strip the "be careful..." part. The rest seems pretty clear to me, especially in combination with the folder names that are part of the warning message:

Warning:
The following folder paths are dependent from each other:
C:\folder -> C:\folder\subfolder

blues12

Sounds good to me. Clear and obvious, imo.

studioquery

I still don't understand how to eliminate this issue. I would like t o continue backing up one computer on the other but this message is now preventing me from doing so. Is there a way to reset it so that I can continue as before?