Speed

Discuss new features and functions

jp52

Hi Zenju,
I am synchronizing (mirror) from my laptop to a personal server about 30000 files. 99% of the files are less than 200KB, and 75% less than 20KB.
With ViceVersa the speed is between 50 and 500 KB/s, with FreeFileSync speed is less than 10 KB/s and can stay below 2 KB/s for some time.
Is there a way to accelerate the process? Do I miss something in the setting?
JP
Site Admin

Zenju

Hi JeanPierre,

I am not aware that the sync algorithm wastes cpu-time at some point 'cause basically what it does is, it passes the files to be copied to the WIN32 API.

Did you also compare the whole runtime? What is the ratio ViceVersa / FFS? I'll do some performance measurements with vice versa when I have the time. If it should really be true that ViceVersa does a faster Sync you can be sure I'll profile the sync algorithm until I get at least the same time!

Best regards, Zenju
Site Admin

Zenju

Hi Zenju,
I am synchronizing (mirror) from my laptop to a personal server about 30000 files. 99% of the files are less than 200KB, and 75% less than 20KB.
With ViceVersa the speed is between 50 and 500 KB/s, with FreeFileSync speed is less than 10 KB/s and can stay below 2 KB/s for some time.
JPjp52
Hi JeanPierre,

I've done some performance measurements, comparing FreeFileSync with ViceVersa. Be careful when measuring performance, as Windows uses extensive file buffering! So synchronize the data a couple of times using one of the tools to get accurate results:

Synchronizing 6300 files, 500 folders, 340 MB:

FreeFileSync: 30 seconds
ViceVersa: 4 minutes 28 seconds

It's just as I expected: ViceVersa's statistics seem to be messed up: Most of the time it showed "remaining time 4 seconds" while it still took some minutes. Also the the "bytes/second" was at 11 MB/s what was just plain wrong.

So when comparing two tools' performance I suggest to do real measurments and not trust the alleged (faulty calculated) numbers.

Best regards, Zenju

jp52

Hi Zenju,
JPjp52
Hi Zenju
Fortunately I cannot reproduce the problem. Speed with FFS seems normal.
I have the filling the problem came from Vista that might need a lot of time to copy or delete large folder. I also experience the problem with ViceVersa especially to delete files.
I will inform you the next time I sync my large folder.
Thanks, JP