Feature suggestion: Collapsible Folder Tree and Same Disk Mode

Discuss new features and functions

hugocarvel

Hi, authors & users of FFS, I've been using FFS for couple years and I love it, but I really need you to consider to improve the details of the sync methods.

1. Collapsible folder tree structure

Currently, all files and folders are listed at the same level. An expend/collapse control for each level of the folder tree can be really helpful to make the compare result list much shorter and more readable. It's more friendly for people who wanna apply same action to entire folder without scroll down a mile long looking for the next top level folder.

2. Same disk mode

Some times we just wanna combine backups into one to save some disk space and make things simpler and easier. But unexpectedly FFS COPY files instead MOVE them as default. I have to delete the unwanted folder manually after updated the latest folder/backup every time. Which means, I need times of free disk space to move around files. It is painful to manually compare where has the sync been done when the operation has been interrupted due to ran out of disk space and delete those files to cleanup some space then start over the sync operation.

We really don't need this. Please simply MOVE them when they are on the same drive! (Or leave MOVE or SAME DISK MODE as an option)

I'll be very appreciated if you guys make these happened !! Thanks a lot.

Andross

i totally agree with the request of collapsible folder tree: when you have to check a large number of files is can be more readable in this way.

Stadly

A collapsible tree view would have been great! Are there any plans for implementing that? Here is an old request for the same thing: Tree View. It is seems many people are interested in this, and have been for quite some time!

SBlake

Yes totally agree with a collapsible folder tree. I have a plethora of files and folders in my design and music production folders that I need to easily keep track of (both installed apps and appdata), and presets for apps in different locations.

bofh

+1 for the collapsible tree

GrantAU

+1 for the collapsible folder tree - I only ever need to go 1 or 2 folders deep when deciding what to sync or not. Having to scroll thousands of files to select/deselect folders is something that would be a breeze if we could collapse folders

GrantAU

Further to my vote for a "collapsible tree" maybe just a "tree depth" selector drop down with 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/* as folder depth options - * being "all folders show" as it default to now.

xCSxXenon

Is there something wrong with the tree structure on the left side? I don't know the difference

bazbsg

It's currently not a tree view, xCSxXenon, it's a list view. The tree view would have the the little + signs to be able to expand or collapse a branch to show or not show the files in a folder, in this case. It would be very helpful if one wants to exclude the synchronizing of an entire folder without having to click every file in the folder, for example, or just to visualize what has changed at a higher lever than seeing every file.

bazbsg

May I add my vote for this feature too, but also add that it would be nice to be able to choose at run-time which view is desired. If you were to make some of us happy by changing the list view to a tree view, you would probably make others unhappy. If you allow both views to be selected then everyone would be happy. I'm sure there are times that each view type would be beneficial over the other type.

David.P

+1 for the Collapsible folder tree structure.

I shall asap add a screenshot from the admittedly legendary AllSync that shows how incredibly useful that is

helmanfrow

+1

I came to the forum to see if there was already a thread about collapsible folders and—viola! There is!
It's very often important—especially when thousands of files are involved—to be able to see a broader overview of the source and target sync data. Conversely a completely exploded view can make organizing a sync session very difficult if not impossible.

This turns out to be the case for many of my synchronization tasks for which I'm forced to use other software.

I'm relatively new to FFS but I have many years' experience with Beyond Compare, which is, understandably, my reference. FFS looks very promising, however, and I'm excited to see how it develops.

ffs_zzh

Please add the feature for the collapsible folder!!!