Feature Request: Cloud Sync

Discuss new features and functions

flipsideza

Hey

Been using FFS for a while now and loving it. It would be amazing if you were able to integrate cloud storage as a sync location. Similar to that of GoodSync.

At the moment I sync from one drive to my google drive folder, and the google drive uploads it... but imagine just going directly without the duplicate data on my HDD.

Thanks,
Chris

justinsu

I second this request. I am using Amazon Drive and it doesn't provide a network drive mapping.

Grapfen

I would highly appreciate the implementation of this feature! I need to sync an external hard drive with my google drive account and the program "@max syncup" seems to have implemented it. However, I would prefer to stick with freefilesync. Thanks!

doraimom

Hi. I just created an account in this Forum to say I also request the inclusion of the Google Drive Sync feature. Hope we can see it soon in the software. Thank you.

ZuperMario

+1 for a cloud sync, especially amazon drive/photo (free unlimited photo with amazon prime). I also have dropbox, but dropbox sync client is very good, on the contrary, that of amazon is very bad. Thx.
Site Admin

Zenju

Google Drive is finally supported by FFS 10.8!

ZuperMario

Google Drive is finally supported by FFS 10.8! Zenju, 15 Jan 2019, 13:49
Very well, I'll try it as soon as possible! Thanks!

Striker37

What exactly does this mean? Can I sync directly with the cloud? How do I input a Google Drive folder location that isn't mapped to my local PC?

doraimom

I'm testing it right now. Extremely slow so far. Let's see how it proceeds.
I'm uploading 64GB to my Google Drive account... After 5 hours, it's slightly over 1%. At this pace it'll take
20 days to complete the backup! A little absurd, since my upload speed is over 25Mb/s in a stable fiber optics internet connection!

Illioc

Wow, one of my dreams came true...

Thanks so much !!!

Upload speed with MP3 files (typicall size around 3 MB) is the max of my connection speed (300 Mb/s = 35 MB/s), using my "usual" 8 threads. :)

2019-01-18 14_33_19-2,58% – Synchronisation en cours ....png
2019-01-18 14_33_19-2,58% – Synchronisation en cours ....png (18.27 KiB) Viewed 2126 times

doraimom

Wow, one of my dreams came true...

Thanks so much !!!

Upload speed with MP3 files (typicall size around 3 MB) is the max of my connection speed (300 Mb/s = 35 MB/s), using my "usual" 8 threads. :)

2019-01-18 14_33_19-2,58% – Synchronisation en cours ....png Illioc, 18 Jan 2019, 13:37
I'm not sure how you are getting this kind of speed but my upload to google drive is ranging from 50kB/s to 700KB/s, in other words, extremely slow and extremely below the limitations of both my computer and my network.

Illioc

I'm not sure how you are getting this kind of speed but my upload to google drive is ranging from 50kB/s to 700KB/s, in other words, extremely slow and extremely below the limitations of both my computer and my network.
As far as I know, there are these 2 things to consider:

1) You should try to make ZIP of any folders you don't use often: you might have seen that performance on small files are always worse than on big files. Especially if you have still use and not SSD. Synchonizing small files is always slow :(. I used "TreeSize Free" (another great free tool) to check the folders having plenty of small files, then I Zip'ped them.

2) There is an option in FFS (added some months ago) that allows parallele processes. Synchronization to Cloud is exactly where it's needed: because it takes some times for the computer to "discuss" with Google Drive and send a file, you better setup 4 / 8 / 16 parallel processes. In my case I've been using 8 processes since the feature exists in FFS: it allowed me to use the max of my network cables and now the max of my internet.

doraimom

As far as I know, there are these 2 things to consider:

1) You should try to make ZIP of any folders you don't use often: you might have seen that performance on small files are always worse than on big files. Especially if you have still use and not SSD. Synchonizing small files is always slow :(. I used "TreeSize Free" (another great free tool) to check the folders having plenty of small files, then I Zip'ped them.

2) There is an option in FFS (added some months ago) that allows parallele processes. Synchronization to Cloud is exactly where it's needed: because it takes some times for the computer to "discuss" with Google Drive and send a file, you better setup 4 / 8 / 16 parallel processes. In my case I've been using 8 processes since the feature exists in FFS: it allowed me to use the max of my network cables and now the max of my internet. Illioc, 19 Jan 2019, 19:11
Your second suggestion is very interesting. But it's available only to those who donated. I didn't. So, I'll keep analyzing if FFS is worth being used to upload to google drive or not. So far, by the speed I am getting and the consistent error messages in the scheduled tasks with a loop of network password requests are getting me crazy.
Thanks anyway for the interesting reply.

Brazilian Joe

Considerations:

Google Drive can deal with same-name documents on the same folder. Currently, FFS just errors out and cannot sync towards inside a folder.

I propose to have some rules clearly set for sync to work better in the case of name collision, if one side of sync supports same name but the other does not.

1) distinguish between files and folders
2) prefer to preserve the folder name over the file name.
3) understand the file naming conventions of a platform. Windows, for example, adds " (n)" to the end of the file name, with "n" being "number of times this file name is repeated - 1". When synced up to Google Drive for example, this would be stripped from the file name on GD's end.
4) If the not-Google Drive end supports it, save the UUID of the GD document as metadata on the filesystem, to better track changes like file move and rename.
5) Team Drives still not suppoerted. THis is a big need for more advanced users (like me) .