[BUG] Portable installation is broken in v8.0

Discuss new features and functions

pblacky

sory folks, i did not understand englich so good!
as i understood it is possible to get an actual version without this installl.dat "feature" if i make another donation.
is this right?
or do i have to stay at 7.9 for using freefilesync portable ?

FileSyncExpert

The install.dat is Part of the New Version 8.0.

And the Donation is a good idea, so that all People who have been donated, have the Hope, me too, that the Installer comes in the near Future without any Crapware.
You must go back to Version 7.9, that comes without the install.dat Feature...

But keep up the good Work rocking and make a Donation...

We all hope that Version 8.1 comes without the install.dat...

zlhnxqgf

This rule will be relaxed again with 8.1 (release later today) to allow copying and using the portable version on systems other than the one where the installation occured and without having to install on a usb stick.Zenju

LiveFreeDead

I signed up to say I am also sticking with v7.9, if you choose to limit what the end user can do with your software by locking a file consistency check that checks the creation date of the file, just to make the portable version non distributable is wrong.

ninj_marx4

Version 8.1 is still affected from this limitation. Really sad :/

zlhnxqgf

Which limitation in 8.1 are you talking about?

LiveFreeDead

If you install FreeFileSync 8.0 or 8.1 as portable, compress it and then uncompress it to another computer/USB/HDD (either via dropbox or just carrying it on a backup USB then it will exit out with consistency error almost as soon as you run it. My understanding is that it forces more people to need to use the installer that comes with Ad ware (to make a few more $) more so than it protecting against modified .exe's as the damn .exe is already running when it does the check on itself, so it's pointless for that reason.

ninj_marx4

Which limitation in 8.1 are you talking about?zlhnxqgf
The install.dat problem which breaks portability although you quoted Zenju that it should be solved with v8.1. Strange.

zlhnxqgf

Works for me, you should probably be more specific about what doesn't work.

LiveFreeDead

This was me running it on a new PC after extracting my freshly zipped version of 8.1 Portable built on my other PC.

I then tried to remove the install.dat and got a missing install.dat error instead, meaning it doesn't act like v7.9 which I preferred as when I went to use 8.0 after a few weeks and a fresh OS install later I kept getting the error which was annoying as I ran it from a batch file that called 9 locations from a .ffs_batch file I made. I was trying to backup the family photos, so not fun to have errors showing up when I wasn't expecting them at such a crucial time.

FileSyncExpert

So, i make a Test of the New 8.1 Version!

Okay we have the install.dat again, but i removed the Portable Folder to another Destination on the same PC, and i have no Error on Start with the FFS Software. When i remove or delete the install.dat file on this Destination, i have an Error on Start.

In a few Hours i want to test the portable Folder on another PC.
When the Portable Version is correctly running, without the new install Process, the Problem with the install.dat File is no more existing. But it looks like that the install.dat file is necessary to run with Version 8.x, also with the Portable Versions....

But the install.dat File is for me a little bit suspiciously, and i want to use the Version 7.9 again...

FileSyncExpert

I test the Portable Version from 8.1 on another PC.
It works, but when i blocking the Access to the Internet via Firewall, the Potable Version doesn't work...
So my Conclusion to that: Back to Version 7.9

ektorbarajas

8.1 still has this annoying "feature" I installed it at my USB, then copied the whole folder to another laptop, and when trying to run the program the same message appears.

So this has not been fixed. I have to stay with 7.9. Hope this REALLY get fixed for next release

FileSyncExpert

@ektorbarajas

When your Laptop has no Access to the Internet, in this Moment, this is exactly what I also observed.
The install.dat "Feature" is not good for the Reputation of FFS...

ektorbarajas

Please fix FreeFileSync.
Fix that annoying install.dat issue.

NightOwl

@ektorbarajas

When your Laptop has no Access to the Internet, in this Moment, this is exactly what I also observed.
The install.dat "Feature" is not good for the Reputation of FFS...FileSyncExpert
i join FileSyncExpert and others, sticking with version 7.9

FFS is certainly one of the best, and maybe "the best", sync-program around, but the "install model" is damaging its reputation more and more step by step; fewer users will recommend it, while others simply can't or will use the software 'cause of scan alerts, etc.

of course, Zenju deserves a better compensation for his great work, but i think most of long time users will accept and prefer a paid commercial version (eventually besides a clean lesser-featured or trial version to promote the program) above the actual rather damaging model

FileSyncExpert

@NightOwl
of course, Zenju deserves a better compensation for his great work, but i think most of long time users will accept and prefer a paid commercial version (eventually besides a clean lesser-featured or trial version to promote the program) above the actual rather damaging model
I found no better Software for FileSync, and i tested many other Software over the Years.
A Commercial Version is the Best Solution for Power User.
Last edited by FileSyncExpert on 01 May 2016, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.