When to use LockDirectoriesDuringSync

Get help for specific problems
regis_1

Post by regis_1 • 12 Sep 2016, 18:54

I have approximately 20 concurrent FreeFileSync batch processes. Each FreeFileSync process writes to a different destination folder. Do I need to use LockDirectoriesDuringSync? Thank you.

therube

Post by therube • 12 Sep 2016, 20:34

So it sounds like you shouldn't need to have it enabled - in your case.
Though from what I can see, it is enabled by default, at least in Windows?
So is there a particular reason why you'd want to disable it?
(And I'd wait on others to comment too.)
LockDirectoriesDuringSync:

In order to avoid race conditions of multiple FreeFileSync instances writing to the same folder at the same time, synchronization tasks are serialized with lock files (sync.ffs_lock). The lock files are only recognized by FreeFileSync and make sure that only a single instance can read and write a shared folder while other instances are queued to wait. This is primarily intended for network synchronization scenarios where multiple users may run FreeFileSync concurrently against a common network folder.
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=expert-settings

regis_1

Post by regis_1 • 16 Sep 2016, 12:43

The documentation is ambiguous. In the first reference it says "writing" and in the second reference it says "read and write". If the feature is unnecessary for my environment then I would like to disable it because it sometimes leaves orphaned sync.ffs_lock files.

andrea

Post by andrea • 05 Oct 2016, 14:34

Hello,
i am loocking on this forum to find news about how to fix problems connected to Sync.ffs_lock.
I just used freefilesync. The job has not been completed (the programs did fault).
In the folder i was going to copy a file named "Sync.ffs_lock" has been created and the folder now it write protected.
I not write on the folder, unfortunately it is not just a folder, is a SD memory. Do you know how to remove the file and unlock the folder. (i had been able to manually copy the file...... format the SD is not possible!)

Vas

Post by Vas • 11 Oct 2019, 21:47

its happened with me too, mine USB drive is locked and now can not format drive

xCSxXenon

Post by xCSxXenon • 13 Oct 2019, 19:57

That file does not lock the drive or it's contents from anything other than another FFS job. There is another issue going on