Syncing with RTS on FTP storage

Get help for specific problems

jacorem

i'm trying to syncing my PC with a NAS storage. I created a job with FFS (9.1 beta due to commands incompatibilities) that point to a local directory and a LAN directory using the FTP protocol. The job works fine with FFS but when I try to automatize it with RealTimeSync it stop due to the fact that it cannot monitor the remote directory. Is this normal or what? i used explicit and password protected FTP
Site Admin

Zenju

Strangely I get this question repeatedly. The error message should be clear, FTP simply does not support directory monitoring. I'm open to suggestions how the error message could be made even more clear than what it seems to be:
The following path does not support directory monitoring:

jacorem

Maybe try as you just write down:
"FTP protocol does not support directory monitoring".
We are not so expert about all the internet protocols, and I, based on other similar softwares, believed that there was a way to do so
Site Admin

Zenju

I've changed the error message accordingly.

makc

same here

can anyone help?

FFS fine, but RTS show me this error.
Attachments
Снимок.PNG
Снимок.PNG (22.12 KiB) Viewed 3957 times

makc

SSH same
Attachments
Снимок.PNG
Снимок.PNG (21.31 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

makc

I've changed the error message accordingly. Zenju, 28 Apr 2017, 10:59
Help?
Site Admin

Zenju

Just remove the folder from the list of folders monitored by RealTimeSync. Maybe RealTimeSync should do this automatically when importing a FreeFileSync config?

makc

Just remove the folder from the list of folders monitored by RealTimeSync. Maybe RealTimeSync should do this automatically when importing a FreeFileSync config? Zenju, 05 Nov 2017, 13:40
And which folder RTS will sync after delete. ofc it do, i import FreeFileSync config, did it many times. This is not resolve my problem.

Why FFS complete task fine, but RTS?

makc

Anyone here?

The-Night

Strangely I get this question repeatedly. The error message should be clear, FTP simply does not support directory monitoring. I'm open to suggestions how the error message could be made even more clear than what it seems to be:
The following path does not support directory monitoring:
Zenju, 25 Apr 2017, 20:56
But if instead of continuing to say, that ftp does not support folder monitoring, you would explain why.

Perhaps users stop asking her the same thing.

I have set the comparison of files by size and date, these two parameters are easily available from an ftp server.

Plerry

… But if instead of continuing to say, that ftp does not support folder monitoring, you would explain why. ...The-Night, 01 Nov 2018, 22:41
This is comparable to asking a tire manufacturer to explain why a car with his tires can not fly …
Flying simply is not a supported feature of the car!

The-Night

… But if instead of continuing to say, that ftp does not support folder monitoring, you would explain why. ...The-Night, 01 Nov 2018, 22:41
This is comparable to asking a tire manufacturer to explain why a car with his tires can not fly …
Flying simply is not a supported feature of the car! Plerry, 02 Nov 2018, 08:14
it would not be easier to say, because the tires are not wings. :-D

beb66

Yeahhhh well I think it's not that simple, of course there's no magic Zenju can do if your Ftp server does not support directory services... no discussion.

but when you try to schedule as a service RealTimeSynch in "MIROR" mode, both left & right directories are added into the directories to monitor in RealTimeSync (which I consider is wrong, in mirror, you do not care of what happens on the right directory (or at least this is not what triggers changes, you should look only changes on the left directory) .
So if ONLY the left directory was monitored (like I do when I run RaltimeSync thru the UI) then there would not be any error when the scheduled service starts (it would not look at the ftp side & not send an unsupported command to the server that causes the service to stop in error)
--> This could be changed in the code & would help some users.

At the end this wouldn't change the fact that the directory monitoring is NOT supported on your FTP, but in some cases this would allow to run automatically RealTimeSync as a service for users doing pure Mirror or backup on the ftp server

Hubert.

beb66

I auto-comment my reply... as I understood how this works now...

This is already implemented.... I did not understood you can pass either a batch file or a "ffs_real" file to RealTimeSynch. If you pass the "ffs_real" file as an argument to RealTimeSync in your scheduled tasks this world perfectly like when you run RealtimeSync manualy (in my case only monitor local directory)

To do so :
Run manualy RealtimeSync with the parameter you want to use (folders, batch file... )
Go to your "user/appdata/roaming/freefilesync" folder in windows
copy lastrun.ffs_real to wherever you put your ffs batch files (you may rename it to xxxx.ffs_real)
follow the User_Manual methodology to "run as a service" passing your "ffs_real" file as argument and NOT your "ffs_batch" file.
example : "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\RealTimeSync.exe" "D:\xxxx.ffs_real"

Works like a charm, you'll only monitor (and do) what you put in the RealTimeSync interface (and so you'll not have the Directory error on your crapy FTP server as you will not send any unsupported command to it)