Sync on MTP hangs for each file modified on MTP side

Get help for specific problems

aceitunejo

Hello

I really like FFS and have recently donated towards its development, but it is not really usable for me right now unless I can synchronise with MTP.

The problem I have is that synchronisation hangs when a file is to be updated or deleted on the MTP side (Android 7.0 on Samsung Galaxy S7).

The only workaround I have found is to change the type of connection (from "Transferring media files" to another option). This results in FFS displaying a error (basically "file not found"). I then revert to ""Transferring media files" and click "Retry" which then works. I have to do this for all files modified or deleted —which of course are the important ones in a backup— and one final time for the sync.ffs_db file.

Can you help with this, please? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
aceitunejo

aceitunejo

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it just me?

Also, can the developers please let me know anything I can try or request any details to help with diagnosing the problem?

Thanks!

pankaj

Having same problem.. FFS hangs while syncing files on my LGG5 SD micro card.. I am using Mirror from my computer to phone.. Would definitely like to have the feature updated asap as I want to keep my files on Phone upto date with my computer...

terrapin

I'm finding the same thing with a Pixel 2. Would very much like to see this fixed as it makes FFS un-usable for synchronising with MTP devices. Can anyone recommend an alternative?

terrapin

So I've tried playing a bit more to narrow down when the bug occurs. It appears that when a comparison identifies that there are multiple items to be deleted on the MTP device, when the synchronisation is subsequently run the first item deletes fine, and then FFS hangs / locks-up when deleting the second item. The MTP device then needs to be physically unplugged and plugged back in to reset the connection.

I'm synchronising a folder (with multiple sub-folders) between my laptop (Windows 10) and my phone (Android Oreo on Pixel 2). The comparison is set up to compare "File Size". The synchronisation is set up to "Mirror" the laptop to the phone, file deletion is set to "Permanent" and error handling is set to "Ignore".

terrapin

I'm still seeing the same issue with version 9.6. Is there a formal way to submit a bug report? Would be nice to see this fixed.

I have discovered that if I wait a long time (4+ minutes) after the software locks up, then it does eventually come back to life and run the synchronisation to completion. Something strange is definitely going on when a second file is being deleted over MTP.

PhilT

Hey there I'm seeing this issue as well. If you try to simply delete a file on the MTP device the first one is fine but the second one hangs. I just tried with 2 files. That went fine. Another 2 and FFS hangs unless I disconnect my phone in which case I get an error dialog popup.

PhilT

It seems to be just the second time. If you let it complete as terrapin indicates then after that it seems to work fine

terrapin

Have just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (Android Oreo) - exactly the same problem as with the Pixel 2 (Android Pie). I'm using FFS 10.4 and FFS hangs when trying to delete the second file on the device via MTP sync.

If you leave FFS alone (i.e. frozen) for long enough something eventually clicks and the sync continues. When syncing with the Tab A this takes about 7 minutes, it's 2 to 4 minutes with the Pixel 2.

EnduringGuerila

I have the same issue (Note 9 512GB). I would love for this to work more smoothly. If I click cancel, the entire program crashes. I get this going to the SD card and internal storage

cicciogiuliani

I have the same issue (Note 9 512GB). I would love for this to work more smoothly. If I click cancel, the entire program crashes. I get this going to the SD card and internal storage EnduringGuerila, 03 Dec 2018, 21:11
hello I too have the same phone note 9 512 worked well until a few weeks ago, now I continually have frustrating errors ... were you able to find a solution? I would be grateful for the help. Thank you.

EnduringGuerila

... were you able to find a solution? I would be grateful for the help. Thank you. cicciogiuliani, 13 May 2019, 17:51
This was my solution:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28220.0

tharg

Nearly 2 years later, I get the same problem on a Galaxy Tab-E from Windows 10. FreeFileSync_10.13_Windows_Setup.exe
FFS is too unreliable for an overnight scheduled task for Android devices.
Between windows machines it's fine, once the sharing and protection is sorted.
Would have donated by now if this bug was fixed.