BUG: Ignore time shift is ignored

Get help for specific problems

Gianni1962

I'm on Windows 10 Creators Update.
I'm using FFS version 9.3 but I have also tested the beta 9.4, same results.
FreeFileSync_9.4_[Beta]_Windows_Setup.exe

Putting values in "Ignore time shift [hh:mm]" in the "Synchronization Settings / Comparison" panel is totally ignored.

To double-check I have tested using another comparison tool that I use daily, "Beyond Compare" from "Scooter Software" using its "Session Settings" in which you can set "xx second tolerance" and the results are those expected.

My Sync Job is simple:
only one "Folder pair", Mirror, compare by "file time and size", "Ignore time shift" 0:01

Screenshots follows.

File list:
File list.PNG
File list.PNG (145.33 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Comparison:
Comparison.PNG
Comparison.PNG (28.59 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Synchronisation:
Synchronisation.PNG
Synchronisation.PNG (38.13 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Site Admin

Zenju

Gianni1962

Thanks Zenju, sorry, yesterday for some reason I heaven't seen the Note ...

No way to implement also a Tolerance?
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS uses a 2 seconds tolerance, but I wouldn't know of a reason why to change this: https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=expert-settings

Gianni1962

Many ftp server doesn't retain source files time-stamp instead use the date/time of the copy operation.
Site Admin

Zenju

This is what the "compare by file size" is for.

Gianni1962

Sorry Zenju, this is another option my eyes missed ...

MouseMan

Is there a functional reason why we can't set the tolerance on a per sync pair/job basis?

I would find it useful to say:
I want to sync this file set, but only bother with the files that are 12 hours or more out of sync with one another.
Otherwise things like log files will keep thrashing my spindle drives, as they've technically changed, but I don't need them to be synced/backed-up anywhere near as often as my databases/documents/etc.

I'm thinking about mainly using this in conjunction with RealTimeSync (which is great btw), but it would still be helpful for manual syncs that I do as well.