How to encrypt files on destination (network) folder?

Get help for specific problems

altar80

Hi guys.
I would like to ask you, if it's here any feature in FreeFileSync which allow encrypt (maybe with zip+aes) files before they saved on remote/destination backup folder. Then decrypt when they are synchronizing back to my PC client.
If I synchronizing my files between two or more devices and for case of server compromising.
Or similar other solution?
Many thx for answer.

Plerry

Not exactly what you are asking for, but:
You could try out Boxcryptor Classic (https://www.boxcryptor.com/en/classic),
free for personal use.
Boxcryptor links a virtual drive letter, e.g. F: to a folder, e.g. C:\BoxData\.
The data in F: is read/write as normal data, but accessing via C:\BoxData\ shows
the data is actually encrypted (at file level).
By syncing C:\BoxData\ (as the A location) with a remote location (as the B location) using FFS, that remote location will contain the synced, encrypted files.

Because both FFS and Boxcyptor Classic work at file level, this works perfectly.
The newer (non-classic) version of Boxcryptor is more aimed at the cloud,
and probably of lesser interest here.

altar80

Thank You Plerry.
Your solution is nearest what I need. But it's little complicated.
For example, Allway Sync can synchronize files between local computer (selected folders) and space on remote servers (using ftp, scp, sftp, cifs or other cloud services like amazon, dropbox and etc.). Moreover, It can encrypt files before transmitting them to remote server, which is advantage if someone compromises server in future. The disadvantage of this program is its price. Free for personal use, but only for small amount of files per month.
So, I try search alternatives and FFS is nice looking replacement for it. But I miss that option in it.

ong

Hi
I would also (still) like to see FFS be able to encrypt (zip+aes is fine) on the fly.
Maybe I can suggest CryptSync ( http://tools.stefankueng.com/CryptSync.html and https://sourceforge.net/projects/cryptsync-sk/ )

Olaf

randomUser

I can suggest https://mountainduck.io/
(including nice cryptomator functionallities)

BRN

Hi dear. Today I paid for this FFS because I like it. Thank you dear Zenju for doing a great job!! This site is also only one with allowed ads in my PC :) THANK YOU!!!

I also want backup encryption as others do, to protect destination folders in unsecured FTP, or others supported destinations.

I suggest this: Is up to me, as user, to generate key pairs (obtained from OpenSSH for etc.). I give to FFS only public key and FFS will encrypt backup files with it. And only if something happen and I will want to recovery files from backup, then FFS will prompt for private key file.
And it's up to users how secure and fast/slow it will be.
Have a nice day to all.

Branislav

Coro123

+ 1 on wanting to see an encryption option with FFS!
I have quickly read a few old posts explaining why this i best left to other more advanced encryption software but....

I use FFS to keep a copy offsite on USB flash drives. I use 5 on rotation and would be happy with a basic level of encryption just incase I lost a USB stick or it got stolen from my vehicle etc. The average member of the public would not go to great lengths to try and crack this anyway!

If anyone has any other suggestions for this scenario (FFS > USB) then I would be happy to hear. I see a few of the other posts are about trying to encrypt to the cloud.

chikad

WinSCP has encryption for SFTP (not FTP)
I don't know if the code can be re-used, but the protocol is described here:
winscp.net/eng/docs/file_encryption
It is very straightforward to implement. I don't know how FFS compares files, but for the application of securely storing files on the cloud the date is probably sufficient anyway.

Would be great if FFS would eventually implement the same algorithm. This would be very useful even for synchronization to network drives, memory sticks etc!

ramazansamur

Hi again,
I'm using the FreeFileSync for syncing my SFTP destination. I need the same encryption method asked here.
What I want is I'd like to provide public and private keys to FFS and FFS will check the destination files by decrypting and validating with the equality with my local files.

Thanks,