question about donation vs. free editions

Discuss new features and functions

cyraxote

I can use the free edition and continue to download updates indefinitely. I can always get the most current version.

I can use the donation edition (by donating), but I get updates to the donation edition only for a certain period. After that period, if I want to get a newer version, I have to go back to the free edition or donate again.

Do I understand correctly? It seems like I'm being penalized for donating, since there is no functional difference between the two versions.

Plerry

From the angle of your benefit:
The donation version has certain extra's. See here.
It is up to you to decide if you consider those extra's to be relevant for your use.

From another angle:
You might simply feel the developer deserves to be rewarded for the time and money put in developing such fine software, and stimulated to keep doing so.

phrab

I noticed this was asked in 2017 & now it's 2021. I just donated today, but have a question before I install the "donation edition". I donated because I want to support what I consider to be a wonderful product. The free edition fulfills my needs, although I'd like to try out the extra features of the donation edition.

My questions are: if I use the donated edition & the time for auto updates expires:
1) will I still be notified of updates so that I can update when needed?
2) will the extra features continue to work after the auto update expires?

I ask this because at https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#donation-edition, it says:
You can then download the Donation Edition and save it for a later installation at any time because it has an unlimited usage duration.

Thank you in advance.

xCSxXenon

1) Yes, FFS will still let you know there is a new version out, but you have to install it manually.
2) Correct, as long as you don't install a non-donation version overtop the donation version

thecrumb

New user here and also have a question on donating - if I donate can I download multiple platform versions? I have two computers: 1 windows and 1 Linux.

xCSxXenon

You can download for all three platforms, mix and match

Zimmster

FreeFileSync Donation Edition is 1 USD, ONE roll of toilet PAPER.
If you need new features, 6 months later you donate again ONE dollar and so on....