OpenCandy

Get help for specific problems

Ozman

Hello,
I asked our company to look at FreeFileSync so we could use it on our machines. They denied my request to use it, saying it has OpenCandy in it. I'm not 100% sure what that is, and a quick search seems to say it is used for the Ads. So I was wondering if there is a version that does not have opencandy as this version I may be able to convince them to look at.
Thank you
Site Admin

Zenju

For the record, FreeFileSync is not using OpenCandy anymore since 2016. Meanwhile the "OpenCandy" business has been cancelled anyway.

althalis

Hi,
I am also struggling with the IT people in my institute who base their evaluation on the outdated wikipedia page that I'm trying to update before asking them to reconsider... Grrr...

So I need to understand something. I can see that version 10.0 of the installer is add-free (since the 27th of April apparently).
https://freefilesync.org/download.php
So the donator version "only" has more features now, is that right?
Or is there a difference between adds in the installer (that you see when you install the software), and adds in the software itself?
If there are still adds in the free version, how are they displayed? (Which technical way is used that I could describe? - and hopefully would fit the description of a "safe" software still.)

Also, I'm trying to find a reference to your interesting statement, @Zenju, that OpenCandy business has been cancelled. Would you have a reference to back up this statement that I could use on the wikipedia page?

Thanks!!
Site Admin

Zenju

I am also struggling with the IT people in my institute who base their evaluation on the outdated wikipedia page that I'm trying to update before asking them to reconsider... Grrr... althalis, 14 May 2018, 08:22
Oh, my. Good luck with editing Wikipedia. I tried to correct the incorrect information about OpenCandy there, but got into an argument with the editor, who insisted that the wrong information is kept until proven otherwise. The catch-22 is that the editor wasn't technically proficient enough to check for himself whether OpenCandy was shipped, and he dismissed all references presented as "not credible".
As a techie myself, this reference-nonsense makes me mad, because there is no need for any at all: Just analyze the damn installer, it has no OpenCandy! (i.e. decompile + check IP communciation if still not convinced)
So I need to understand something. I can see that version 10.0 of the installer is add-free (since the 27th of April apparently).
So the donator version "only" has more features now, is that right? althalis, 14 May 2018, 08:22
That's correct.
Or is there a difference between adds in the installer (that you see when you install the software), and adds in the software itself? althalis, 14 May 2018, 08:22
There are no ads. Neither in the installer (they've been removed since FFS version 10.0), nor in the actual application (the FFS app itself never had any ads included).
Also, I'm trying to find a reference to your interesting statement, @Zenju, that OpenCandy business has been cancelled. Would you have a reference to back up this statement that I could use on the wikipedia page? althalis, 14 May 2018, 08:22
Oh, yes, you can find them when you go to the "Talk" section on Wikipedia or in the article history. But as mentioned earlier, they didn't have any convincing effect. It seemed the main editor has had some bad experience with FFS in the past, most likely involving OpenCandy, which would explain why he insisted on keeping the false information.

In any case, kudos to your noble effort!

althalis

It's crazy to see all the fuss about the English wikipedia page and blocked users. I'm happy I didn't get dragged into this and that my changes (second modification) have finally been accepted to state that from version 10.0, it's ad-free...
Now my institute has finally accepted my request to use the software. :)