Sync large folder via small USB flashdrive

Discuss new features and functions

Jengalor

Hi,
Thx a lot for the great tool you provide, I use it a lot !

I wish I could use it more, and what I need, is something I never saw before (tell me if you know some tool that does that)

I have a very large folder, let say 200go
I have a small usb key, let say 60go

I want this big folder to be on a 2 different PC (not connected)

Let s say that to simplify the problem my 2 different PC already have the big folder.

What i wish to do is to sync my big folder with a little usb key. So the key store a dictionnary of the files on each PC and date of last modification. So when i sync on one PC it update the dictionnary, and add all files that need to be updated on the other PC.
When I put my key on the other PC, it do the same, it update its files with the files on the key, then update its dictionnary and maybe add some files to be synched on the other PC.

I am not sure i am really clear. Not sure if I am the only one in the world that could use this feature, not sure if any software actually do this, not sure how complex it is to add it to freesyncfile.

thx for all

DaddyCool36

Hi all,
I thank you too for this powerfull tool, it saved me several times. I have tried some sync tools, and no one is better than FFS.

I have read your post Jengalor, and I perfectly understand your need, because I would like the same feature. I would like to synchronize files in 2 steps, through a small buffer space, like a USB key.

2 PC with a big folder (nearly 800 GB) without any connection, and a smaller USb key (16, 32 or 64 GB), to synchronize those 2 folders.
I think there would be on the USB key a folder named with the dateTime of sync, which contains all the new and updated files, a dictionnary of all the listed files, and an information about the deleted files, like you said.
I don't need versionning, so maybe you need this Jengalor ? I only do syncing for backup.

The 1st sync to the usb key will create the folder in it, the 2nd one will sync from the USB key to the folder in the 2nd PC, it's like the "comparison" button save the comparison (and only this) in the USB key.

I hope a future version with this awesome feature will be available.
Could I help with it ?