How to only update newer or larger files?

Get help for specific problems

taob

I have a fairly simple situation where I need to update a target folder with only certain items from the source folder. In my specific case, the source folder contains a bunch of recovered files from a failing hard drive. The target folder has about 95% of the files, while the source folder has about 30%. Most of the files are identical, so FFS will ignore them on sync. However, the remaining files should copied over only if the source file is newer or larger than the target file. I cannot find any option to specify this. By default, FFS will copy over all files that are different, potentially overwriting newer files with older ones.

How can I tell FFS to only update newer and/or larger files (or any other condition)?

taob

Any suggestion for this?
Site Admin

Zenju

Set up custom sync directions.

desertdad

I don't see how to use a CUSTOM sync definition to only update larger files [either way] when the file names are the same.
FFS has done a wonderful job of identifying different folder structures and files. I'm working with 750,000 files in thousands of folders in two libraries, so the different file size capability on sync would be invaluable over time.
I'm using the latest DONATE FFS app on Windows machines.
TIA for any suggestions.

bilbobigg

I have the exact same problem and would love to see an answer or a work around.

David Morrow

Unless I'm not understanding the problem correctly, I'll take a shot at a solution :

On the FFS main screen, click on the Filter icon at the top. On the Filter tab, right side, you can specify minimum and maximum file sizes. Would that not work ?

desertdad

[UPDATE] OK, some requirement changes. My wife has decided that file date only is a good comparison. The latest version of any given design includes changes to number of colors, needle sizes, etc. That can result in the 'best' version being larger or smaller than the matching file in the other library, but is always 'latest'. That drove us to just comparing on file date. That 'custom' configuration also picks up new designs added to either location. Her locations are a desktop and a laptop in different rooms.
In testing with this modified requirement, the Compare showed that she had some folder mismatches to manually correct before she could run the Sync. She found that foldername/filename was different than foldername2/filename and caused all kinds of Compare issues. When 'filename' was actually the same file, just in a different, but similar, foldername things went bad quickly. I'm glad she was working with test libraries. She will fix those problems and I think FFS will help her in the long run.
Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions
Dick

manikavj

Feature Request: the existing tests such as "new and updated", or comparing against fixed sizes, are not equivalent. Unless ffs provides the ability to define our own callbacks for comparison T(a,b) -> {-1,0,1} that I missed, this functionality is still missing, and is needed for some of the users; Could you 'lease add this as a new feature?