Synchronizing OneDrive folder forces download of files

Get help for specific problems

penske1

I just upgraded to FFS version 10.1 on Windows 10 Pro. When FFS is synchronizing my local OneDrive folder OneDrive is re-downloading the content and synchronizing that instead of using the local copy. Is there a reason for this, or a way to disable it?

For now I have blocked FFS from "automatic file downloads" in OneDrive, which does force FFS to sync the local copy.

Is this a change in the new FFS or is it a OneDrive "feature"?
Site Admin

Zenju

This sounds like a OneDrive "feature". FreeFileSync doesn't have logic that would treat a OneDrive folder differently from any other.

kb1

How do you block FFS from "automatic file downloads"? Is this done through FFS or through OneDrive?

Quiffster

This a feature of OneDrive - if you access a file - it gets downloaded and kept in Sync (see the settings I attached) - you can switch this on or off. I presume as FFS accesses the file - it will get downloaded. Suggested you filter out any OneDrive folders that you don't want downloaded.
onedrivesettings.png
onedrivesettings.png (16.08 KiB) Viewed 1934 times

acaruson

This is correct. I was pinched by this as well until I remembered this feature (which is pretty good when dealing with large numbers of files you don't really need all the time.

So when you're trying to sync a local drive which has a mirror on OneDrive...with another local file location...then Frof files teeFileSync will need to pause at times to download a hard copy of files existing only on OneDrive...in order to put a copy of the file in the sync location.