Transfer speed limit

Discuss new features and functions

Monberg75

Hi.

It would be great if you implemented speed limit options when using cloud/external sites to sync with.

Best regards, and thank you for a great program.

Monberg75

davidvkimball

Bump. Also would like to know if this is possible for the same reason.

Thiemo

I second the wish for a throughput limit.

jantje

Would be great. I am on WiFi for my work-laptop so bandwidth is limited and now FFS is taking up all bandwidth and I can't work/browse the internet anymore.

For other tools like FFS I use NetLimiter where you limit the speed for each application/process. But the way FFS is implemented this is not possible.

jantje

Well I found this expert setting called RunWithBackgroundPriority see https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=expert-settings

Just sync and wait when files are copied... this will be at full speed.
Then do simultaneously a https://www.speedtest.net
and notice a drop in FFS speed but (almost) full speed at speedtest.
Works great.

davidvkimball

Well I found this expert setting called RunWithBackgroundPriority see https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=expert-settings

Works great. jantje, 04 Jan 2021, 08:22
Thank you very much. Just changed the RunWithBackgroundPriority section to:
<RunWithBackgroundPriority Enabled="true"/>
Saving the GlobalSettings.xml file in the following location:
%AppData%\FreeFileSync
I appreciate your help!

jantje

Well there is still 1 disadvantage... other computers will still suffer bad wifi speeds because FFS "won't notice them". So speed limit would still be usefull.

Thiemo

Well there is still 1 disadvantage... other computers will still suffer bad wifi speeds because FFS "won't notice them". So speed limit would still be usefull. jantje, 04 Jan 2021, 08:40
All with you there. This happens to my home-network.

kalich

Works great. jantje, 04 Jan 2021, 08:22
Thank you very much. Just changed the RunWithBackgroundPriority section to:
<RunWithBackgroundPriority Enabled="true"/>
Saving the GlobalSettings.xml file in the following location:
%AppData%\FreeFileSync
I appreciate your help! davidvkimball, 04 Jan 2021, 08:30
This is do not work in 11.5

kalich

Version 11.4 work GREAT

jantje

v11.5 works also in my experience... Be sure to first close FFS, then update the RunWithBackgroundPriority in GlobalSettings.xml, save it, then start FFS.

kalich

I did that. I even restarted the computer. But the problem reappeared for me on 11.4.

Couldn't the problem be that I'm using the Portable version?

kalich

The application is still overloading the network. Restriction via <RunWithBackgroundPriority Enabled = "true" /> does not work!

jantje

That will not change. If you are doing nothing on your PC, FFS will take all available bandwidth of your PC. If that happens to be the max. bandwidth of your network other clients will notice this in their limited speed.
If you are doing some browsing or downloading then FFS will be running on a lower speed. At least during my testing.

To prevent the situation you are experiencing we still need a speedlimiter option in FFS. I couldn't get NetLimiter to work.That's why my post "by jantje • 04 Jan 2021, 09:40". Maybe there are other bandwidth control applications that will work. If so share here.

Gianni1962

Out of curiosity, why Netlimiter don't work with FFS for you?

kalich

I would just appreciate the ability to set the maximum transfer rate.

Gianni1962

In my experience NetLimiter does this but it is not free.

jantje

@Gianni1962 Please share how you accomplish this.
NetLimiter is a great tool and does work for me with other programs.

Gianni1962

If you already use it, you should already know how to set it up.
It is not an easy task to explain in text the abc of NetLimiter.

First try this NetLimiter guide: https://www.netlimiter.com/docs/basic-concepts/limits

GFG

I'd really like to have this be a built-in feature of FFS, as I'd like to be able to recommend that feature to friends/family who are less tech-savvy, and could really use it myself for a sync I'm using now.

chandkumar3g

I did that. I even restarted the computer. But the problem reappeared for me on 11.4.

mikexx

I often use FFS over Remote Desktop rather than setting up a VPN.

Everything else then becomes a snails pace where FFS takes over the bandwith. Is there a application that can throttle the IO for a specified process, that's free and hopefully open sourced?

I do feel it's a shame this feature is missing.

ala

I use NETSPEED LIMITER 4.0 and it's great I gave it 50kb U/S and let it run all day, my files are all kept safe.

onessa

Glad i searched that is a nice expert option but i still feel like having something like Filezilla's transfer speed limits download/upload limit thing or potentially a thing which lets you set speed limits based on time of day would be handy so i could let it trickle during work hours but then while sleeping go full speed without having to set a bunch of crons to start stop and not overlap if not done.

Example:

Btw a donation edition person here.

Thanks in advance for the amazing app and tool

KinsleyProk

Maybe there are some helpful ideas here to limit the transfer/upload speed, but I prefer the straightforward ways to do this task and for example :
- Duplicati , There is a speed control in the GUI version (it was a bug in 2.0.5.1 Beta, fixed in next Beta and in 2.0.6.0)
3b9cc6a9a6319eabc34f42c70134918e66d16be7.png
3b9cc6a9a6319eabc34f42c70134918e66d16be7.png (11.76 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
- Gs Richcopy360 , it has an effective feature which can control the speed while uploading / transferring
main-qimg-6bfb20190d992dcb4cb301b85a41a3a8.png
main-qimg-6bfb20190d992dcb4cb301b85a41a3a8.png (54.19 KiB) Viewed 3495 times