Synchronizing files that were moved to another folder

Discuss new features and functions

kdaej

Hello,

I have a suggestion : When I move a file from one folder to another folder on my, this file is considered as new when I synchronize my PC with an external backup disk.

I would suggest to have some kind of control so that FreefileSync notice that the file was only moved and is not new. The fil could be moved on the backup disk too.

Thanks

Plerry

See here.

kdaej

Thanks

I should have searched better, sorry.

However, may be I misundertand the explanation but what I understand from "FreeFileSync User Manual: Synchronization Settings" and from this thread viewtopic.php?t=5624&p=18621#p18621 is that I must run the mirror option the first time, which seems to be confirmed by the fact that the "Detect moved files" option cannot be checked when I use the "Update" option.

But I have older files on the right side which I want to be kept on this right side only (archives) and not copied to the left side, so I am a bit lost.

Thanks

Radish

But I have older files on the right side which I want to be kept on this right side only (archives) and not copied to the left side, so I am a bit lost.
Way to do this is to do your mirror sync into a folder on the right-side. For example, backup into a folder titled "Backup" (on the right-side). Then just make a different folder, not contained in the "Backup" folder, for your archive files - or you can even keep the archives in the root directory of the drive/partition if you want -- anywhere so long as they are not in the "Backup" folder or any of its sub-directories. FFS will only "mirror compare" your left-side with what is contained in the "Backup" folder on the right-side.

kdaej

Thanks. I answer with much delay since i didn't get notifications by mail.

This solution is more complicated because I would have two manage 2 folders. But I understand I have no other choice for now, so i will keep having duplicates in my current backup folder