backup vis-a-vis syncing --not sure where to start

Get help for specific problems

pintree3

I hope I'm in the right place here, since this is the 1st time I write an email as opposed to directly writing in the forum.
From the description this software is supposed to be a backup software. But I don't see a backup button anywhere or how to start one. All I could see as a starting process is a sync of a sort of 'Left Directory to 'Right Directory'. So how does one sync or compare if there is no RIght Directory yet--if a backup has yet to be made? Would I be correct in assuming then that with this software 1st (B4 using this) you must copy folders and files to a destination on your own and then once this is complete then one can begin using this sofware and create a sync?

What I did was on the left column -directory- choose 2 folders (which contained other folders and files). Then on the right column/directry I simply chose the external hard drive where I wanted this backup to happen (this being I: in my case). Then I am told to click on 'Compare'. This is where I knew something is wrong in my thinking. I mean 'compare what since a backup has yet to be done? Hence why I am now thinking that B$ using this software one must do a manual copy first. Am I correct in this assumption or did I miss something here? Thanks

-
This email and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the sender and recipient(s). Please notify the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this email and delete the email and any attachments from your system. You may not forward or inform unauthorized parties about the contents.
Attachments
alternate.html
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Plerry

> From the description this software is supposed to be a backup software.

FFS is primarily synchronization software, but might also be used for backup purposes.
You can choose from several synchronization methods (Automatic, Mirror or Update).

The Automatic method is a bi-directional sync (A<=>B). After the sync the content of both locations will/should be identical (as far as files are not excluded via the Exclude-filter), and contain the latest version of each file, irrespective of if that latest version originates from the A or B location.

The Mirror sync method is a uni-directional sync (A=>B). After the sync, the content of B will be identical to that of A (as far as files are not excluded via the Exclude-filter). To the extent that files pre-exist on B and are not identical to their counterpart on A, the file on B will be overwritten by the file A. Files pre-existing on B and not or no longer present on A will be deleted from B.

The Update method also is a uni-directional sync (A=>B). It is similar to a Mirror-sync, with the exception that any files pre-existing on B, but not or no longer present on A will not be deleted from B.
The Update method is probably the closest to what most people intend to achieve when referring to "backup". Files (unintentionally) deleted from A can be restored from B.

By using the Versioning feature of FFS, pre-existing files on B (or A in case of "Automatic") that will be deleted ("Automatic" or "Update") or overwritten by a newer version (all methods), can be moved to and retained in a versioning location.
This brings the user even closer to a "backup", as it allows to restore the or any of the previous versions of a file (depending on the Versioning method selected).

Obviously, in case of the very first sync (or backup) the destination location (normally "B") will be empty. By running the first sync, FFS will perform the intial copy (including the relevant parts of the folder structure) for you, according to the sync-method chosen. There is no need to first manually copy over all files.
Only the (root) B (and A) locations must pre-exist or be created manually prior to the first sync.