Register credentials of destination drive on FFS

Get help for specific problems

gadsad

Hello

I use Free File Sync to sync (mirror option) C:\DOCUMENTS with \\192.168.1.163\BACKUP

192.168.1.163 is the IP address of a NAS drive. BACKUP is a share folder on the NAS

In order for Free File Sync to work properly I do have to register NAS credentials (Login and Password) in Windows so FFS is able to access the Share Folder BACKUP on the NAS

A more secure solution would be to register NAS credentials into Free File Sync (instead of registering credentials in WIndows) so that only FFS will be able to access the NAS SHare Folder (and not any malware of Cryptolocker through Windows explorer).

Is it possible to register destination credentials (NAS login and password) into FFS?

Any other solution to secure FFS destination drive ?

THank you for you help
Gad SAADIA

Plerry

Another way to address this is to create a dedicated Windows user account for running your (FFS) syncs to your NAS, let's say "SyncUserWin" with its own dedicated password.
Similarly on your NAS you create such dedicated user, let's say "SyncUserNAS" with its own password.
(Obviously it is OK if the SyncUserWin and SyncUserNAS are the same name and would use the same dedicated password.)
On the NAS only that dedicated sync-account has write-acces to your sync location; all other accounts at best have read-acces.
On your Windows machine, when logged in as SyncUserWin user, you can then store the credentials for the NAS user SyncUserNAS, which is then only accessable when logged in under Windows as SyncUserWin, not for any other user.
Then, make it a habit to only login as SyncUserWin for running your (FFS) sync(s) and logoff directly afterwards.

gadsad

It is very clear for me
Sorry there is not an easier and faster solution ...

I guess that there is no solution for replication on a USB local drive (instead of NAS drive)
If crypto locker arrives on the PC it will also impact the USB local drive used for replication
Any idea to protect replication on USB local drive?

THank you very much again
Regards

Plerry

… Any idea to protect replication on USB local drive? …gadsad, 26 Nov 2018, 10:35
It is actually quite simple.
Do two things:
1) Administer your system under an admin-account, but never "use" your system while logged in under an admin account.
2) Simply logically or preferably even physically disconnect the local USB drive from your system while not running a replication sync.

gadsad

Everything very clear.

I tried the NAS solution and it works perfectly. Best regard and thank you for all