two way sync rookie

Get help for specific problems

desertdad

Two way sync is not giving results I expect. I suspect it is my expectations that aren't right. I have a minimal test environment for testing.
One desktop [Win8.1] with a 'library' with 8 directories and 221 files.
One laptop [Win10] with a copy of the same library.
New install of FFS[10.6 Donation].
Things going well until I tried futzing with two way sync. I ran Compare to reset indexes. I deleted one folder on the left and deleted a different folder on the right. I ran two way sync and lost both folders from both libraries.
I expected to get both folders back in both libraries.
What is wrong with my expectations?
What settings in two way sync will give me the behavior I expect. I may have to make a 'Custom' Variant, but so be it.
TIA
My future includes running FFS against two libraries that are GB/thousands of files/hundreds of folders. The libraries can be edited at either location. I want to keep both libraries in sync on some sort of time schedule, at least monthly or weekly overnight. The libraries belong to my wife, so I could get in a lot of trouble if things don't go well.

desertdad

BTW - I watched the tutorial, did a test using that approach, works as advertised. However, that is just two updates with the associated Compares to reset indexes. I guess I was expecting all that to be done under the covers. My bad. I guess I'll live with it and go down the sequential batch jobs overnight path. Bummer.

Plerry

... I deleted one folder on the left and deleted a different folder on the right. I ran two way sync and lost both folders from both libraries.
I expected to get both folders back in both libraries. ...desertdad, 27 Nov 2018, 04:36
Given your 2nd post you might already have understood this, but your initial expectations regarding a two-way sync were incorrect…
You have defined a two-way sync.
This means that (assuming the two sides are in sync) any changes you make on either side will be synced to the other side.
You made a change (here: a deletion) in your left location and one (here: another deletion) in your right location.
When running the sync, the left-side deletion will also be applied to the right-side and similarly the right side deletion will also be applied to the left side.
Exactly what a two-way sync is supposed to do.

Mind that running two sequential Update syncs (A=>B and then B=>A) is not necessary for what you (seem to) want to achieve.
Like you suggested a single A<=>B Custom sync can/will do exactly what you (seem to) want.
It even seems the default settings for a Custom sync are exactly in line with your wishes.
Just go to the FFS sync-settings (F8), select the Custom variant and look at the actions per category.
Hold your mouse over the respective (gray) Category icon and the (colored) Action icon below it to read the tool-tips. By clicking on the Action icon, you cycle through the available options.
You probably want/need the Custom settings (left-to-right): "Copy new item to right", "Update right item", "Leave as unresolved conflict", "Update left item" and "Copy new item to left".

desertdad

• I agree that simply selecting the Custom Variant looks like it would do what I want.
• I added two unique text file to Master and two different unique text files to Target.
• I ran Compare and the results are as I would expect. Master has two unmatched files and Target has two unmatched files.
• I ran Custom and received a ‘permission’ error.
• I captured images of the relevant windows.
• Compare
• Settings
• Error
• Completed with Errors
• Options
• Properties
• I confirmed everything seems to be in Admin mode.
• I can manually copy the folders the way I expect FFS to copy them. No permission errors.

The network is a home network, ethernet, single home router.
Compare.jpg
Compare.jpg (47.74 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
error.jpg
error.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
completed with errors.jpg
completed with errors.jpg (101.21 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Options.jpg
Options.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Properties.jpg
Properties.jpg (52.96 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

desertdad

These log files may help. They are from the recent fails.
Attachments
2018-11-27 143807.685 [Error].log
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
2018-11-27 142332.634 [Stopped].log
(973 Bytes) Downloaded 123 times
2018-11-27 141940.225 [Error].log
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

desertdad

I know I can get rid of the errors by not copying permissions. I found that in the support files, but that means the permissions don't propagate. I tried checking copy permissions before I did the Compare, just in case the behavior is sequence sensitive. That didn't change the behavior.

desertdad

I tried using Windows Advanced Sharing to make sharing 'Everyone' for read/write on both the high level folders in the Custom Variant. I had hoped Inherited Permissions would change things. I'm stumbling around trying to find a systems configuration fix. That change didn't work. Same result. Bummer.

desertdad

My workaround seems to be making a copy of the target library and attaching it to the source library machine. UPDATE and TWO WAY both copy Permissions in that configuration. Networking is clearly the problem, not the actual comparisons. Bummer when the libraries are large.