Adware or Malware?

Discuss new features and functions

Sandshagen

I am seeking a good sync software and I think i might found it in FreeFileSync, but I have also seen remarks about adware/malware included in install.Possibly that Norton block install etc
Is the install clean?
Thanks

forkintheroad

I just downloaded the latest version, and my virus/malware scanner found this malware in the setup executable, so I did not install. Please explain. I'd really like to use the software. Thank you.

PUA.Win.Malware.Speedingupmypc

microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=PUA:Win32/SpeedingUpMyPC

Diver

Freefilesync passes the malwarebytes scan and most definately is not malware. I agree that it is probably the best filesync program out there for me. Please read this quote from the FAQ page

"Note: Some anti-virus programs, most notably Norton by Symantec may falsely flag the installer as dangerous and delete it without providing further info. This is because Norton uses a so-called "reputation-based heuristic", which will simply delete all files that are not well known or commonly downloaded. This simple algorithm is expected to fail with the FreeFileSync Donation Edition which is not widely distributed by design. As a workaround, you can try to restore the deleted installer or use a smarter anti-virus program."

link to page: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#donation-edition-note

bwstrauss

Downloaded and installed FreeFileSync 11.22 on June 24. FireEye Endpoint Security is reporting/quarantining the file FreeFileSync\Bin\RealTimeSync_Win32.exe and telling me that it belongs to the Malware family "Babar.72923

False or True Positive?

xCSxXenon

What do you think?