Slowly mirror networked folder

Get help for specific problems

posternutbag

Hello,
I have a mapped network drive, let's say W
W has about 600 folders some cascading pretty far down with fairly long names
I would like to mirror it to mapped drive X, which is currently empty. I'd like to do it slowly-- only a few root folders at a time. e.g. where I have
W:\Folder 1\
W:\Folder 2\
W:\Folder 3\
W:\Folder 4\

At my own pace, do Folder 1 and 2 on the first day, 3 and 4 on the second, etc.

I am interested in keeping the folders already copied over mirrored, so that changes on W folders (only ones already copied) are reflected in their respective X folder. I would like to keep W's original folder and file attributes, if that's possible.

Is all that possible with FFS?

posternutbag

I'm wondering that to

Plerry

The only way to do it "slowly" is to

- use multiple left-right folder pairs (W:\Folder1 and X:\Folder1, and W:\Folder2 and X:\Folder2) and every day add a few folders pairs
- use a single left-right folder pair (W:\ and X:\), add some initial folders to the Include folder (\Folder1\ and \Folder2\) and every day add a few folders to your Include filter.
- use a single left-right folder pair (W:\ and X:\), add initially almost all folders to the Exclude folder (e.g. only not \Folder1\ and \Folder2\) and every day remove a few folders from your Exclude filter.

However, I fail to see a reason to do it slowly.
Then you can do it simply by defining a single left-right folder pair (W:\ and X:\).
It might take longer to run the first time, but you can even spread this over multiple sessions by interrupting a sync while running. The next time it will redo the compare and effectively continue the sync.
The same single sync can keep matters in sync after completing the initial sync.

posternutbag

However, I fail to see a reason to do it slowly.Plerry, 12 Dec 2018, 16:05
Thanks. Yeah, you are probably right. I just didn't want to congest the network with multiple terabytes being moved. I'll just set it to go on a weekend.
Site Admin

Zenju