New feature: able to set action "Delete" for category "="

Discuss new features and functions

Serge45

Hello,
I have several backups of my hard drive made as full copies. I would like to convert some of these backups to incremental backups, where an untouched file would appear only once in the first backup.
With FFS, I compare 2 backups and in the custom synchronization I would like to have an option "Delete on right side" as an action for the identical files in the category "=".
Special attention to the folder, because they may be identical but with different files inside . In this case they of course would not be to delete.
This would be great and would help me to save a huge backup space. Thanks to the FFS team!

Plerry

You are using an "exotic" approach of making backups and trying to maintain those.
Instead of trying to get a tool to fit your exotic approach, it might be better to reconsider that approach.
If you would use FreeFileSync (FFS) to make a "single" backup (meaning: a file would appear only once in the backup), e.g. via a Mirror or Update sync, and would use Versioning as your Delete Files method, you already are able to do what you seem to want to achieve. With the feature of Version Control added to FFS earlier this year, you can even control how much previous versions (if any) will be kept and how long those will be kept.
But it does require changing your backup approach ...

Serge45

Ok thanks for your answer and your advice. Fully agree this is a bit exotic but I have to deal with :)
Maybe this kind of feature could help in some other cases by giving full custom control over file management.