What happened to the Logfile Limit?

Get help for specific problems

zxcslo

How can we now limit the number of log files?
In version 10.2 there was a parameter Limit="1" that you can add to the
<LogFolder Limit="1">%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\FreeFileSync\Logs</LogFolder>
but now (in 10.6) does not work anymore...
Am I missing something and if I'm not why it was removed? It was VERY practical solution.

zxcslo

Bump...

BigWillie

This! Is this something that got taken away back in 10.3 changes of log files? I would really like to use this again! It was awesome. Manually pruning log files is a pain.

BigWillie

Not trying to be a pain here, but would seriously like to know.

zxcslo

This is why I'm still on 10.2. I need only one log file per job so that I can send it over email when the job is finished...
Now there's 10.14 out and still no explanation, what happened to the log file limit... very disappointed...

BigWillie

Bump, maybe one day we might get an answer....
Site Admin

Zenju

The number of log files can be limited by going to "menu -> Tools: Options, Delete logs after x days".

BigWillie

This setting is awesome to have here, but we used to have it on a per-session setting. So when you wanted to change the logs to point to the same folder as the backup, you would only have to worry about it keeping X number of log files. This got removed and I am not sure why. It is the setting when you save the batch job.

Before:
saveasbatchbefore.png
saveasbatchbefore.png (21.57 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
After:
saveasbatch.PNG
saveasbatch.PNG (43.59 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

zxcslo

Yes, this is what we need back.
Site Admin

Zenju

Whats wrong with having the limit by days instead of count? Is it really needed to customize the limit per each sync job?

BigWillie

Days or number of files doesn't really matter to me. It is mainly the fact that you can't do it on a per-session.

Yes, there are use cases for having it per job. Maybe I don't know, but why take features away? Did it have compatibility issues with another feature?

Why would it be a big deal to have it?

zxcslo

I need only one log file per job so that I can send it over email when the job is finished...
I have several jobs that are executed once a day (at night), but I have also a few jobs that are executed twice a day, every 12 hours. And I'm sure that people execute jobs every hour also...
It's all about people have a choice... if it's possible.
And because we once had that choice and now we don't, that's why we are asking...?

BigWillie

Bumpity, Bump.
Site Admin

Zenju

Days or number of files doesn't really matter to me. It is mainly the fact that you can't do it on a per-session. BigWillie, 08 Aug 2019, 12:48
It probably makes sense to both override log file folder and limit at a folder-pair level. There are a number of other global settings that sometimes require a more fine-grained control. Perhaps FFS should allow for that via a hidden-by-default panel named "Expert Settings", reachable via the sync config dialog.

I need only one log file per job so that I can send it over email when the job is finished... zxcslo, 08 Aug 2019, 16:46
FFS offers the %logfile_path% macro inside the "on completion" command. But nobody knows this, so it might as well not exist. Any ideas on how to improve this?

mojo

Whats wrong with having the limit by days instead of count? Is it really needed to customize the limit per each sync job? Zenju, 08 Aug 2019, 07:43
There is a good reason! If I have a limit by days, the logfiles I am interested in might already have gone and deleted. If I have a count like 3 - I can always inspect the last 3 log files and dont have to care and clean the others up. Please put this feature back - on a session basis.
Thanks

BigWillie

It probably makes sense to both override log file folder and limit at a folder-pair level. There are a number of other global settings that sometimes require a more fine-grained control. Perhaps FFS should allow for that via a hidden-by-default panel named "Expert Settings", reachable via the sync config dialog. Zenju, 22 Aug 2019, 20:20
That could work for me, I really think it is just a matter of putting back what was removed. I am not sure how feasible that is since some of that code has changed. That's really all I am asking, it sounds like we are trying to way over-complicate the matter when this is functionality that was already there.

zxcslo

That could work for me, I really think it is just a matter of putting back what was removed. I am not sure how feasible that is since some of that code has changed. That's really all I am asking, it sounds like we are trying to way over-complicate the matter when this is functionality that was already there. BigWillie, 25 Sep 2019, 15:18
+1

BigWillie

Good 'ole bump for old times sake.

BigWillie

WEEEEEEEE!!!! To the top!

BigWillie

Ehhh, let's keep it going.

mojo

Hey BigWillie,
Can we expect this feature to come back soon? What do you think?

BigWillie

You know, I would hope so, but I am just not sure.

I would even be willing to donate to help the cause!! I am pretty sure there are a few others that would too.

jcallenj

Whats wrong with having the limit by days instead of count? Is it really needed to customize the limit per each sync job? Zenju, 08 Aug 2019, 07:43
Zenju, thank you for the excellent program and your time and attention to user discussion and requests. As some have pointed out, limiting by count may help sometimes. Since it was changed, you have code for either. Providing a switch (even if hidden) to let the user decide, should satisfy more users.

However, an ability to limit per sync job seems much more significant. The preferred limit may depend on job frequency. For example, one may well want different limits on hourly than daily jobs. Also, in a multi-client environment, a limit per job facilitates consistency regardless of who runs it.

So please add my vote to restore per-job limits. Unless and until that happens, as a workaround, I may try setting up settings files with different limits, to call via command line. Does someone know an easier way to do this in 10.3+?

jcallenj

as a workaround, I may try setting up settings files with different limits, to call via command line. Does someone know an easier way to do this in 10.3+? jcallenj, 28 Oct 2019, 18:27
Not having found a better alternative, so far this has been working for me. There are at least a couple of considerations though. First, of course, this only helps if calling FFS in some way via the command line.

Also, FFS will complain if the settings file is not complete. So if you need successful operations reported as such on the command line, a full settings file is needed even if only this single setting is non-default.

BigWillie

Things that go BUMP in the night!

BigWillie

Never gunna give you up, never gunna let you down!!