sync.ffs_db is also a file

Discuss new features and functions

Janos

When two folders are synchronised they should be real equal or the difference should be stated!

FFS creates hidden sync.ffs_db. It is the file state of a compared folder and represents one side only, as far as I understand. It should not be copied or synchronised as a file, only created locally by FFS.

When two file systems are compared, the sync.ffs_db-s in subfolders are ignored.
- Is this the only hidden or system file ignored by FFS in comparison (except files in the Filter statement)?

Users who want a simple statement about two folders can use Windows Explorer Properties for a folder, that sums up files, subfolders and data volume.
e.g.
A sync.ffs_db-file is 106 497 bytes somewhere deep on E:drive.
E: drive 79 383 files, 7 725 folders, 148 GB (159 241 809 580 byte)
F: drive 79 382 files, 7 725 folders,148 GB (159 241 703 084 byte)
- here I removed *\desktop.ini and *\thumbs.db from the Filter statement

Comparing those two results should be equal after a synchronisation, but it is not when some sync.ffs_db-s in subfolders have been ignored on both sides! (I use also TreeSize Free, there it is simpler to detect the differences top down)

There could be a simple statement in the compare or synchronisation log that sums up the difference of the two synchronised sides. A small remark on the screen could remind the user that subfolder sync.ffs_db-s exist and where they are accounted for.

An alternative could be to put sync.ffs_db into the Filter statement with a programmed explanation/warning, that removing it could create problems for FFS in moving files.

Thanks for a powerful tool!

Best regards Janos Vidos