Cannot exclude hidden "Icon" files on OS X

Get help for specific problems

bobbycircle

My source folder tree is a local Google Drive folder. It contains some hidden "Icon" files (which are likely used to decorate the folder icons with the Google Drive logo.) These files appear to have 0KB file size. I am trying to exclude them from a mirror operation (using the filter `*/Icon`) but it's not working; they still show up in the left pane. Thanks for any help!

bobbycircle

I sorta figured it out! There's an invisible char at the end of the filename (it's the carriage return char `'\r'`), so using just `*/Icon` won't match.

I don't know how to specify special chars to the filter (`*/Icon\r` does not work) but using `*/Icon?` works for now.

Unfortunately that might also match files like Icone or Icon8 etc. It'd be best to be able to do something like `*/Icon\r` if possible. Is that possible somehow?

Trying to copy/paste the \r character from elsewhere (e.g., Character Viewer) doesn't seem to work.

aiwetir

This is still an issue years later. It's some kind of resource fork that macOS can't delete if you are using the new Google Drive File Stream so it sits here with 400 files that won't sync and can't be deleted. It's generally easy enough to delete from the macOS file system but the Google Drive File Stream mounts as an external drive where we don't seem to be able to delete those files.