Window 10 Task Scheduler keeps Running

Get help for specific problems

David Morrow

I set up a task with Windows 10 Task Scheduler (TS) which was fairly straight forward. Among the various TS parameters, I set the following :

Configure for : Windows 10
When running... user account : The name of my user account that I log into Windows with
: Run with highest privileges
TS Triggers tab - Stop task if it runs longer than : 1 hour
TS Settings tab - Stop task if it runs longer than : 1 hour ( not sure why this option is available twice)

But, if I check TS well past the 1 hour mark after the scheduled start time, the "Status' is still showing "Running"

Any idea what is going on here ?

David Morrow

I just came up with the solution to my problem.

I set up Task scheduler per the FFS instructions on the web site here. Those instructions say : "In Windows 7 Program/script always needs to point to an executable file like FreeFileSync.exe even when the ffs_batch file association is registered. If an ffs_batch file was entered instead, the task would return with error code 2147942593 (0x800700C1), "%1 is not a valid Win32 application".

For Windows 8 and later this limitation does not apply and you may enter the ffs_batch file path directly into Program/script and leave out Add arguments. "

But, it would not work properly and would not quit running and get the job done if set up as described above for Windows 8 and later.

The solution : even if using Windows 10, set up Task Scheduler as if you were using Windows 7. My setup :

Actions tab \ Program/script : "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" ( do not enter batch file name here)

Add arguments (optional): "C:\Users\MyName\Data\Free File Sync\BatchFileName.ffs_batch"

Once I did this, it ran like a champ.
Site Admin

Zenju

Thanks for your feedback! I've updated the manual accordingly. I had tested entering the .ffs_batch directly into "Program/script" and it worked, but Windows 10 with all the major updates is a moving target.