New SELECT VIEW - Permanently Deleted Files

Discuss new features and functions

carlrcraw

This is a New Feature request.

For the COMPARE function, I would like you to implement a new SELECT VIEW button that would show only those files that will be deleted permanently from the destination - no matter where they are located on the destination.

This would allow the user to verify the files that will be lost forever if he continues with a synchronization action.

Most importantly, it would let the user know that files that he had in a renamed folder, which show up in the Select Views/deleted files button as files that will be deleted, will not be deleted forever on the destination area.

Alternately, if there is another method that would show the user which files will be moved RATHER THAN deleted (as the 'deleted' select view button currently shows), that would be acceptable, too.

I think it will save me and many others a huge amount of time making sure that the end result of a sync operation will not result in the loss of files that were not expected. I currently use the 'save all deleted files' function of FreeFileSync, but then I have to spend time going thru each folder/file to make sure that the files that were meant to be moved, were actually moved to the new location and not deleted.

Thanks for considering this feature.
Carl Crawford

Plerry

Most importantly, it would let the user know that files that he had in a renamed folder, which show up in the Select Views/deleted files button as files that will be deleted, will not be deleted forever on the destination area.
How do you envision that?
If FreeFileSync (FFS) has been able to detect files as moved- or renamed-files, they will be moved or renamed, not deleted. So, these files would correctly not qualify as your files to be "permanently deleted".
If FFS was unable to detect that certain files have been moved or renamed, it will create these files in their new location and/or under their new name, and delete these files in their old location and/or under their old name.
Because in the latter case FFS was unable to detect those files as being moved or renamed, FFS is not able to tell those deleted files apart from the files truly to be permanently deleted.

Note that for deletions you can select a Delete Files method.
Next to Permanent, you can set it to Recycle Bin or to Versioning.
If you use Versioning, you have pretty extensive control over how much previous versions will be kept and for how long. Possibly a very useful alternative for your proposal to prevent or deal with accidental file deletions.

markusoft

2019-02-03 02_53_27-Synchronization Settings.jpg
2019-02-03 02_53_27-Synchronization Settings.jpg (146.86 KiB) Viewed 925 times
my batch jobs look like this
this way I can ALWAYS recover files
I catalog the Deletes with whereisit, so I can see if the deleted folders are HUGE (then I know there was a problem on that date) ie: someone deleted a bunch of files