Synchronization problem

Get help for specific problems

Krzysiek1979r

Hi
I want to use FreeFileSync to synchronize two folder. One is In my local computer (source) and another is in FTP server (destination). It should be one way synchronization. It mean in my computer everyday one file is created, than some data is written in this file every fifteen minutes. So this situation is easy to do and work excellent. But next day this file (old one) is deleted on FTP server, and after it my rule copy it again. So what can I do to solve my problem. On FTP server are also some files from different computer which I don’t want to copy to my computer.
Best regards
Krzysztof Czernielewski

Plerry

You indicate your local computer is your source and the FTP server your destination.
As long as you use a uni-directional (source to destination), and not a bi-directional sync variant, there is no risk of data from the FTP server being copied to your local machine.
As there is other data on the FTP server than the data you intend to sync, you need to do either of three things:

1.Use a specific folder on your local computer that contains only the file(s) to be synced to your FTP server and on your FTP server use a specific folder to contain only the synced file(s).
You can then define your FreeFileSync (FFS) left-right root folder pair as those two specific folders, and define a Mirror sync variant. Mirror syncs files to be synced according to need, but removes any other pre-existing files in the destination location

2. Use a specific folder on your local computer that contains only the file(s) to be synced to your FTP server and on your FTP server use an arbitrary folder that will contain the synced file(s) and other files and/or folders.
You can then define your FFS left-right root folder pair as the local specific folders and the FTP-side arbitrary folder, and define an Update sync variant. Update syncs files to be synced according to need, but leaves any other pre-existing files in the destination location intact.

3. Use an arbitrary folder folder both on your local computer and at the FTP-side that contains not only the files to be synced (source-side) or have been synced (destination-side), but also other files and/or folders.
You can then define your FFS left-right root folder pair as your local and FTP-side arbitrary folder, define in the include filter the files to be synced, and define a Mirror or Update sync variant.
Any pre-existing files not included via the Include filter (or any files excluded via the Exclude filter) are left intact.
Always look at the Compare results and proposed actions before running an actual sync

Krzysiek1979r

Hi
Thank you for your answer. However me synchronization should worked during 24h per day and 365 days per year. without any interference. I use RealTimeSync
In my local folder all file should be kept ( can’t be deleted) in remote folder, at the end of the day the file is downloaded further from remote folder and deleted from the remote directory.
using your advice I can’t do it or my knowledge how to use this program is insufficient
BR
Krzysztof

Plerry

You can define an FFS sync in line with any of the above three options.
Once proven OK, you can store the job as *.ffs_batch file.
You then let RealTimeSync (RTS) monitor the relevant local folder for changes (not the FTP folder, as FTP does not support folder monitoring, but the changes will occur in your local folder only anyway).
Upon detecting changes in the monitored folder, you should let RTS call FFS, opening the stored *.ffs_batch file.
See the Manual page of RTS for help.