Two way sync issue

Get help for specific problems

kpeter005

I have a two-way sync configured for Path A and Path B. The comparison setting is File time and size.

Path A has a file myfile.txt with a timestamp of 11:03 am. Path B has a file myfile.txt with a timestamp of 8:03 am. They are both the same size. When the synchronization occurs the message in the log file is:

Warning: The following items have unresolved conflicts and will not be synchronized:
myfile.txt: Both sides have changed since last synchronization.

Why is the myfile.txt at Path A (with the newer timestamp) not synchronized to Path B? My understanding was that the newer file would always be chosen.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Plerry

When running a two-way sync, FFS uses a database to store the status of files and directories, including the file-date at that moment.
The error message is clear: "Both sides have changed since last synchronization".
As both sides have a changed file date since the last sync was run, FreeFileSync does not know what to do.
Often a virus scanner that accesses/scans the files and changes the file dates is to be blamed for these sort of problems. Try to repeat the experiment with your virus scanner temporary deactivated.

kpeter005

Thanks for the explanation. I do not know why both files changed, but the virus scanner could be a possibility. Where does that database file live? Is deleting that database file an option or are there negative consequences to doing that?

Plerry

If you need to do a two-way sync (files may change on both sides, path A and path B), then you need the database and you should not delete it. Exactly to notify you if the same file has changed on both sides since the last sync.
If files only change in one location (e.g. location A) and need to be synced to the other location (location B), then you do not need a two-way sync and instead can run a Mirror or Update variant sync and avoid the use of the database (then don't mark "detect moved and renamed files").